Fuel Cut Relay - Another warning.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Captain 80s, May 25, 2019.

1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    So yesterday evening, me and a couple buddies are heading out to the peninsula to go to one of their cabins. Ferry ride from Edmonds to Kingston, get across and ride past Port Gamble on the way to the Hood Canal Floating Bridge. Fair amount of Holiday weekend traffic heading west. Start dropping down on to the bridge deck, bike acts like it's running out of fuel. I know I have fuel, but I still switch to reserve and continue to sputter to the side of the bridge. Fuck. Images of waiting 3 hours on the side of a bridge on Friday on a Memorial Day Weekend waiting for AAA.

But I know what it is. Open tank bag, remove multi-tool for flat blade and remove side cover. Pull my little jumper wire out of a pouch in the tank bag, disconnect fuel relay and jump the connector on the harness side. Put everything away, put on my gloves and start my bike. My friends look at me like, "what the fuck?". "That's why I always carry a jumper wire." Let's get there and drink and eat. 3 minutes MAX on the side of the bridge.

This is one of my few bikes that I have not already installed a parallel switch for exactly this scenario. It is not a matter of if, it's when. And where.

Have a back up plan if you have a fuel cut relay on your bike. And if you're reading this post, you likely do.

3 hours (at best) or 3 minutes (or less).

Home now, after a fairly miserable ride in the pouring rain today.

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Sounds like Memorial Day weekend was out to get you, you thwarted it's attempt, so it pissed on you just to show you who's boss. That Murphy guy really needs to find a hobby.

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Fuck you NB. And you're 100% correct.

4. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    I have that sucker jumped now for 10 years!!!!

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

:Rofl: