Fuel Injection Query & Idle Adjustment - VFR 1200

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by ibrakeformoose, Apr 10, 2011.

1. ibrakeformoose

ibrakeformoose New Member

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone has had the need to adjust the idle on their 1200?

Mine ticks over at around 1300rpm (F model), and this can't be right..

I'll have a rummage around the bike to see if I can find an adjuster somewhere, but the manual doesn't list it anywhere..

I have only done about 60 miles on my new bike and find the injection to be very jerky, more so than my Victory Hammer S!

The bike 'runs on' in corners, as when you shut the throttle, it takes a fair while to get to idle, which is high, meaning you have to brake in tight corners all the time - not ideal where I live!!

My bike's fuel system 'squeaks' too.. when the ignition is turned on, there is a high pitched squeaking, which sunds like a hose has been pinched.. I have other injected bikes and whilst the fuel pump does 'hum', none do this..

Any suggestions or advice greatfully received, thank you!!

2. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Is it still under warranty? If so take it back to the dealer. There's something more wrong than just high idle the way it sounds.

3. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    Agreed, take it back to the dealer. Mine never had any kind of run-on. When I turn on the ignition the bike does make all kinds of noises (more of a chirp than a squeek, almost a series of whistles) but it runs great and I don't believe there's anything wrong with that.

It sounds like you definitely have something wrong with your idle though. ...having it "run-on" is a safety concern, you don't want your bike motivating itself forward with a closed throttle. Put it in those terms so your dealer understands that it's not a nuisance, it's a SAFETY issue!

4. knobby1

knobby1 New Member

Agree with the other guys here, there's no idle adjustment on the 1200 and it should be ~1100-1150rpm, it's controlled by the ECU (F) or PCM (FD).

If the engine is "running on" as you say I agree with Zenmoto here, it's a safety concern. I suspect there may be a throttle position sensor issue or similar. These bikes use "fly by wire" so there's no direct cable connection between the throttle and the butterfly's, something is possibly telling the stepper motor for the butterfly's to hang open slightly. There may also be problem with one of the other sensors which can possibly cause this, the dealer should be able to check if there are any fault codes happening.

There is a "high idle" of ~1500-1600rpm until the engine coolant temperature reaches a certain level, but it should return to normal as soon as this occurs. Can you verify if this is happening?

I recommend you get it back to your dealer and insist they get it sorted for you, there's definitely something not right.

BTW, the audible high pitched whine, whistle or squeal from the fuel pump when the ignition is turned on is normal for the 12's, it's just pressurising the system and I understand there's a small relief orifice in the system which I believe is the cause of the squeal noise as the high pressure fuel rushes through it, (I stand corrected though).... I've seen 4 of them now and they all do it so I don't believe you have a drama in that department.

Don't let them tell you the problem is because the bike is "still running in" either. My bike has had perfect idle and no hint of run-on since I picked it up last October... with just 6km on the clock.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Smithy.

5. ibrakeformoose

Thanks guys, the bike is only a few days old, so I'll cope with it for a little while and sort it at first service (unless it becomes unrideable!).

The fast idle is fine on start up, but after a while, it creeps back to about 1300rpm or so.. it could be a sensor, but I guess it would throw up a MIL fault..

The whine when the system primes is not what I mean.. after priming, it make a weird bubbling, squeaking noise and continues to do so.. have a listen to yours and let me know if your bikes do it please?

Will update you when I've been to my dealer..

6. knobby1

knobby1 New Member

Ah...yes, this noise you speak of after the initial prime... sounds vaguely like a baby bird chirping...yes? And happens after ignition is turned on, system primed and prior to engine start..? Mine does it too..! I'm also curious as to what it is..!

Cheers,
    Smithy.

7. ibrakeformoose

Yes, that's exactly it!!

It fires up okay and runs fine, so I wonder what it is.. at least I can't add it to my 'fault' list..

8. Kar raka

Kar raka New Member

VFR 800 High Idle

:frown:Hey I have a VFR 800 21000kms and it does the high idle (1600 rpm), run on thing too. Im going to get the throttle bodies balanced as it also "hunts" at about 4500/5000 rpms in top, its really annoying takes the smooth out of a good ride.Maybe the TPS sensor is out. Anyone had this happen to them on an 800? Am i looking in the right place?:confused:

9. Gianni

Gianni New Member

1 year is passed from this post....

now i've the same problem with my 2011 vfr1200, i've shot a video, hope this could help!

[video=youtube;QKpZb5DOCig]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKpZb5DOCig&feature=youtu.be[/video]

anyone have solved this problem? 20130103_0107581.jpg

10. Kar raka

Kar raka New Member

Thanks Gianni , I have veiwed the video maybe this is also my problem . I have a friend thats a mechanic so will show him and let him check it out , he originally thought it was a TPS throttle body problem . Thanks again for your input to my problem.
    Regards Kar Raka:smile:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  11. wayneb20002000

wayneb20002000 New Member

Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Hi
    Did you get that noise checked,is it normal.mine sounds the same
    Thanks

12. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

It's the vacuum and completely normal.

13. BiKenG

BiKenG New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I know, old thread, but I thought I'd answer this anyway.

The squeaking/chirping noise is from the stepper motor that drives the butterflies.

As a 'Ride By Wire' bike the twistgrip just tells the ECU what the rider wants and the ECU then controls this stepper motor to open the butterflies to where it thinks they should be (and monitors the actual position with the Throttle Position Sensor). It is this stepper motor that chirps and they all do it so I assume is to be expected and normal behaviour.