Fuel Joints

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Dr.Инженер, May 11, 2019.

1. Dr.Инженер

Dr.Инженер New Member

United States
    Well to day is the day to start on this newly acquired beast. 1986 700

first order. carbs. The darn PO handed the carbs to me. I've rebuilt 2 cb650 years ago and the bane of that was the carbs. Hate them. But I notice the first thing missing are 2 of the 4 dang Fuel joints. was hoping to see if it would fire up this weekend but that will have to wait. So this morning I'm hoping to tap into the fine knowledge of this forum.
    First, anyone reading this have a special place they order parts from.
    Second does anyone on here, clean and sync these bad boys
    lastly has anyone 3d printed these joints?

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    If you are talking about the cross over tubes between the carbs, 2 are fuel and 2 are vent. There are welded aluminum replacement tubes that can be sourced if needed.

After what you just said about your relationship with carbs, contact Squirrelman (on this forum) and send him your carbs.

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    squirrelman #1 has great abilities to clean, adjust, and sort out any problems with VF and VFR carbs. conversate me if interested, please.

12-1-17 176.JPG

4. Dr.Инженер

Dr.Инженер New Member

United States
    IMG_0060.JPG vfr Braket.JPG Like I said, I HATE CARBS. To add to this new problem I found some "issues" with these carbs while packing them for Squirrelman#1 to work his wizardry.

Problem #1, on one of the carbs that has a bracket that bolts two of the carbs together is broken (and has been for some time)

Problem #2. While sourcing new screws to for the carbs to have Mr.squirrelman#1 replace the 33year old Philip head screws to go to Hex Socket Cap Screw I notice one of them was inch size. Hmm, now why would Honda being a Japanese company use the American inch size. Makes no sense. So I checked the opposed side, and the FREAKING PO drilled and tapped out the original threads to put in 1/4-20. I would have no problem with that except the person over drilled one of the holes and just stuck the bolt in the with no theads. So now It looks I may need to source two spare carbs, UUGGGHHHH!!!!

So anyone have 2 spare carbs collecting dust that are ready to be used that will replace these two?

5. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    You can save the carbs with “Alumiweld” https://alumiweld.com/

I’ve used it to repair a cracked gearbox lug and it works

It does end up considerably stronger than cast alloy, more like billet alloy, so you need to machine the surface level and drill the hole for the tap to cut the new thread with the carb body locked in one position to get it precise

Dr.Инженер likes this.
  6. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    Check out this guy on https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Carb...619016?hash=item3d43a0d5c8:g:ZQoAAOSwaLhZhmVn

I just jot the super kit from him and it has all new Allen head screws for everything. It was a real nice kit at a decent price. Do your homework and make sure it is for your bike first. He sells stuff for only honda v4s. I just rebuilt my carbs due to leaky fuel tubes. Not a real fun job but... Had to sync by eye quite a bit before installing. To my surprise I only made a small adj on only one carb to sync with my new carbtune. Love this tool. Sounds better than ever on the throttle. There are metal fuel tubes on ebay but are not cheap. Mine were in good cond but the seals failed. Dam ethanol fuel. Also look for a decent used set. Maybe cheaper in the long run.

Dr.Инженер likes this.