Fuel leak

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by shirmik, Jan 24, 2018.

1. shirmik

shirmik New Member

Australia
    I have just put this bike back together and fired it up and have quite a lot of fuel coming out of what appears to be a breather. A bit hard to see but it’s coming out of the short plastic pipe in between the two rear carbs. Can anyone help me out as to why this is happening please. I have replaced the jets in all carbs and the o rings on the ends of the fuel/air lines and put it all back as it came apart. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    410AB2B3-DA81-4510-8E1B-6A79D0A644AB.jpeg

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    I'd start with stuck float & go from there.

Did you bench test them - connect to fuel bottle & fill up the carbs WHILST NOT CONNECTED to the bike?

3. shirmik

shirmik New Member

Australia
    :dislike:No, I didn’t. Looks like it’s time to pull them off the bike again.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Hey, you didn't get the message ? when removing or replacing the carbs, the airbox bottom should always be attached to the carb set !!

yes, as above, you have one or more leaky float needles. best to test for leaks before mounting up carbs. fill them with fuel on the bench first !! to avoid the serious aggravation of r/r-ing carbs unnecessarily.

somehow you seem to have a too-large hose connecting the front and rear air vent lines (the smaller tubes) ?

have you checked for proper diaphragm assembly by blowing air into the oval-shaped holes at air intake side and checking that slides rise ? it's easy for diaphragm tops to jump outta their grooves when installing top cap.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  5. shirmik

shirmik New Member

Australia
    Thanks mate, sliders are working fine. Tested the needle valves by holding them shut and gravity feeding fuel. No overflow. Put the bowl bases back on and tested again and looks like two diagonal carbs aren’t sealing off and fuel was coming out of the round hole just above the slider and not as much from the air vent pipe. I’m guessing the float levels on the two diagonal ones is too low!!

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    guessing might not be sufficient, so do some measuring. :Yo:

what # did you try to hit when setting levels ?

holding needles up by hand might not be the same as having float pressure holding up, so i'd still suspect needles are bad.:(

carbonfibre cam covers ?? KOOL !!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  7. shirmik

shirmik New Member

Australia
    According to manual float levels set to 9mm and that’s where they are. Needles and valve seats are all brand new along with jets and pilot screws.
    Hydro dipped cam covers, do it myself.

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

FSM states 7mm for '86 700, and 9mm after '86, possibly for stricter EPA rules ? with new needles and seats, i can't imagine what might cause your leaking ? i usually set mine at 7.5mm.

tell more about cam cover work, please.

9. shirmik

shirmik New Member

Australia
    Have adjusted the floats and to around 7, 7.5mm and gravityfed fuel. NO LEAKAGE!! Hopefully problem is solved.

Hydrographics is the art of putting a film on a 3d object by floating the film on water and dipping the object through the film. If you google hydrographics, there are heaps of videos that show you how it’s done. Little bit more involved than the first sentence (took me 18 months of trial and error to get it right) but that’s basiically it. If done right, is impervious to heat so will last a long time. Also did the clutch and alternator cover in the same pattern. Very effective way of dressing up parts.

10. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    yippee...