Fuel pressure regulator

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by OZ VFR, Jan 23, 2015.

1. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    A while back, there was a post on replacing the original FPR with a Turbo City one, which gave it an increase of 5psi fuel pressure.
    Turbo City no longer sell the modified ones, so my question is: does anyone know if there is a replacement one from a different Honda that will fit?
    I have one from a 2001 CBR1100, but it's different size and will not fit.
    I've seen the post on taking a hammer to it, but I don't think that is the way I want to go, call me crazy, but I'd like a bit more control on what I'm doing.

2. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    The CBR1100XX has two different ones. Carbie's have a 40lb and the FI has a 50lb regulator. I don't know what the VFR has or if they would fit. My tank is off so I measured it. End of can is 1 1/2" from nut on fuel rail and it's about 1 3/8 dia. This is on a FI bike.

3. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    The VFR has a 36psi one, the CBR one I have has a nut that is too big, all else seems about the same.

4. Beesting

Beesting New Member

Do you have the part # from your CBR1100 fuel pressure regulator? There are two part numbers in the Honda parts fiche. 16740-MAT-E01 is the fuel pressure regulator for 99-00 fuel injected blackbirds. 16740-MAT-E22 is the fuel pressure regulator for the 01-03 fuel injected blackbirds.

I actually have the 99-00 regulator on order for my VFR and was hoping it would fit.

5. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    The one I got is 16740-MAT-E22, and it doesn't fit.
    Let me know how you go with the other one.

6. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Why? You're only going to make your bike run rich.

7. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    That's sort of the point.
    To meet polution regulations, the engine runs lean, even more so when on closed loop.
    That's the same for all bikes now.
    They run below the ideal fuel/air mixture ratio, I can't remember the actual figures now.
    Upping the fuel pressure, up's the fuel mixture ratio during normal running situations, but still lets it go into closed loop and run lean during cruising speeds (on bikes with oxygen sensors).
    A lean running engine runs hotter then one with a correct fuel/air mixture, and doesn't produce as much HP.
    The difference isn't great, but it becomes more responsive accross the rev range.
    If you follow a proper set up track bike, you can notice the smell from the richer mixture that we're not used to in normal road bikes.

8. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Hey Beesting, did you receive the FPR yet?

9. Beesting

Beesting New Member

Yeah I have it, just trying to get some time to break the bike down and see if it fits(its been really cold here in Maryland). I did measure the fuel pressure with the stock pressure regulator and I got a reading of 41psi. This is with the genuine Honda Fuel pressure gauge. I was blocking the pair valve off and wanted to get a baseline pressure reading. That reading is about 5psi higher than it is supposed to be. So either the gauge is reading incorrectly or I have something going on with my fuel system.

On a side note I did have the bike dynoed yesterday and the fueling was only slightly lean. I will see if I can get a picture on here to show it.

10. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Agree, you have a faulty gauge or the FPR is already modified.
    The fact that its only running slightly lean, might point to the fact that its a non standard FPR.
    Just a thought.

11. Beesting

Beesting New Member

So no go on the part number I have either. Man is it a total pain to take the throttle bodies off! It looks like it would need an adapter to make it work. Im probably just going to order a new vfr regulator and look into some type of aftermarket fuel tuning.

Attached Files:

12. Christovich

Christovich New Member

United States
    I know that I am late to this party, but I am getting a new fuel pump and the mechanic said to get a new regulator as well. I have been reading a couple of different threads and was wondering what year your bike is? I have a 2006 and am wondering if the 99-00 blackbird FPR would work on it. Another post hinted that it would, but there weren't any pictures comparing it. In your picture are you showing the FPR from a 5th gen VFR? Thank you for the help.