Fuel problems on a 97

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by bk94si, Oct 15, 2019.

1. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    Ongoing saga. I am having problems with my fueling system. Seems to be electrical and started a couple of months ago when it seems both my pump and relay burned out. I replaced both and it worked fine for a while. Then my relay burned out again so I bypassed it. Worked fine for a while and now I *think* my pump might be bad again. Bike died on me this morning. At first seemed like it was running out of gas, although I still had at least a gallon in there and the pump was still running. I topped it off with gas anyway but now the pump seemed to be louder than normal. I am guessing I have burned out the pump again. Anyone have an ideas why this may be happening? Troubleshooting ideas? I am actually thinking about scrapping the whole system and going to a vacuum pump. I've been dealing with off and on problems with this for about 2 months now.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    you replaced the pump with oem or bad chinese copy ? if the pump doesn't shut itself off after carbs are full and continues clicking, it might be sucking air, so check tightness of in/out hose connections.

3. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    I replaced with a K&L, made in Japan pump. I do suspect the wiring as I have gone through 3 relays in 2 months but I will check the hose connections. That is something I haven't checked, although wouldn't I be leaking gas if a fuel line was loose?

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    i eliminate the pump relay on all my hondas. inlet line could be a bit loose without leaking fuel but sucking air. does your pump stop clicking when carbs are full ?

5. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    It did stop after a couple of seconds and sounded normal this morning when the bike died on me. When I went back after work to push it home, it just kept pumping (loudly).

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    i'd suggest removing pump intake hose and blowing air back into the tank (with cap open). then test flow from tank into a can.

7. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    Ok, actually a simple problem and fix although I still have no reason for relays blowing. I have a quick disconnect on the fuel line and it somehow managed to come undone all by itself. It did run with no problems for several weeks so it must have been connected before. I have turned it so that the release button so less exposed and that is the only thing I can thing of off hand that might have happened.

8. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    Oh, and the pump is quieter now that it actually has fuel in it. ;)