Fuel pump pressure

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by erollman, Sep 30, 2010.

1. erollman

erollman New Member

Map
    So, my fuel pump went out on me the other day. It was way different than when my chevy truck pump went out. When they go out, its not while your going down the road like my vfr. They like to go out when you need to get into your truck and go somewhere. They simply just won't work anymore. Anyways, so I debated putting one on from autozone, but I can't seem to figure out how much pressure or volume the stock one carries. I ended up getting a decent deal on one from ebay, but for future reference, since the spare ones are so few and far between and I am too tight to pay 190 bucks for a brand new one, does anybody know the specs?

I also understand that they are built with a shut-off safety system for when the bike tips over and such. This would concern me with a aftermarket one, but if the price is right, it might be worth the risk. My bike isn't very pretty anymore, and it breaks down more than I ride it as of late anyways.

Someone just :spankme: and tell me to quit crying already.

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    carburated is only like 5psi. aftermarket general purpose fuel safe pump for $30-60 will work wonderfully. I don't believe there is any tipover shutoff in that generation. The carbs would stop feeding fuel properly on their side, the engine dies, the crank stops spinning, the ignition pickup stops reading, and the fuel pump relay opens.

someone will spank me if I got it wrong I'm sure.

The fuel pump v. after market pump v. gravity feed debate has been hotly contested here many times.

3. jahlov420

jahlov420 New Member

Map
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  4. erollman

erollman New Member

Map
    You guys are the poo

I knew somebody was crazy enough on here to try it. Thanks for the info. I was told not to go over 7, but I wanted to make sure.