Fun ride, but this is not where it belongs...

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by SkiHands, Dec 22, 2021.

1. SkiHands

SkiHands New Member

United States
    So I got this 95 VFR750 for $2k, and had to but a new valve stem in it. Yep, that was all it needed to ride - it needs a new t-stat too but that is coming this weekend.
    Since I had a track day coming up, it was the logical choice to haul it to the track to test ride the bike, what could go wrong? I had all of maybe 10 miles on the bike, its been cold and snowy here, so I have more track miles than street miles!
    Anyways, the sport touring tires are awful compared to Q3's, but the sliding was expected so i wasn't startled at it al all.
    The carbs need a cleaning and balance. The gorilla tape held the fairing together perfectly. The brakes are pretty sketch when the bike is over 100mph, and they have steel braided lines already. And it really dislikes turning quickly, but it IS stable through corners. Amazing acceleration for a bike with 55k miles on it. Much faster than the brakes can handle.

2. SkiHands

SkiHands New Member

United States
  3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    very few complaints about brakes here, and i doubt yours are working at 100%. try new pads, make sure slider pins are greased and moving, and scuff up rotors. what track ?

4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Hey SkiHands....had a 4th gen for 7 years and put 30k on it. Raise the forks 10mm to help quicken things up.
    If you're going down the upgrades mode, VTR1000 forks are a drop in and will give you many OEM Honda brake options. (I'm running RC51 calipers on mine.)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Stock suspension? If it is, totally bagged out by now. I never tracked any of my gen3 bikes, but I can fondly remember fitting my (shameless plug here) Fox Shock and Race Tech Gold Valve set-up on my bike when I was living in North Jersey and going into the mountains and coming home with ground down foot pegs and mid lower fairing scraped from strafing apexes.

Probably due for a complete brake over haul imho. It is just par for the course riding old bikes. Nice pictures! Good Job and write up!

6. SkiHands

SkiHands New Member

United States
    That's be at Arizona Motorsports Park in Phoenix. The pads are unknown type and I am used to the HH EBC pads on my track bike, so the brakes are probably just fine for the street. I doubt I will ever put the VFR on the track again.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    next to luke afb?? i did a dozen laps there on my hawk a few years ago.

gallery_3647_3505_60522.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  8. SkiHands

SkiHands New Member

United States
    Yep, thats the place. Closest track to where I live in Flagstaff. There was snow on my trailer when I loaded it up, and it was 70F at the track.

I'll be learning more about this bike as I dive into the maintenance. So far everything looks stock and well kept.

9. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I used to like to use a term for a used/second hand bike that I acquired. If I was working on the bike and discovered rounded fasteners, cross threaded fasteners, missing parts, (you get the idea) I would say, that the bike was "Finger Fucked."

Ok fair enough, so now flash forward to present day and working in the field that I work in, we do not say Finger Fucked as it is not nice and probably socially wrong. We say, "Undisturbed" sounds better than "Molested" or "Finger Fucked" but certainly not as funny.

My gen3 was not finger fucked, my second gen3 bike was pretty good, the carburetors were definately finger fucked as they had plier marks all over the brass jets and I ended up buying a new rack off Ebay. My EX500 was undisturbed as it only had 1500 miles. My YSR50 was molested but not Finger Fucked, there you have it in a squirrels Nut Shell. Peace out