Gas/ Fuel cap is a little sticky...

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by JDPaddle, Jun 27, 2024 at 12:22 AM.

1. JDPaddle

JDPaddle New Member

United States
    Map
    Is it ok to hit it with a little WD 40? Lithium lube? what is recommended?
    Key turns a little sticky and the latch mechanism is sticky to release to put back on and get the key out.
    2014 VFR 800
    thanks!

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Powder Graphite is what I use.

WD40 gets very sticky, that makes it great at limiting corrosion but it attracts dust and dirt.

34468 Randy likes this.
  3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    its usually not a key problem.

under the bottom lube the 2 sliding pieces with wd or motor oil or similar. use the key to work lube into the sliders.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024 at 2:42 PM
  4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Sorry Squirrelman but I can't agree with you about the WD40. It makes a poor lubricant. It is a water displacement concoction. It is good for cleaning something but not a lubricant.

For many circumstances I do like graphite. I have a can of graphite spray but seldom would someone need the quantity of graphite that comes out of an aerosol can. When I have any stuck lock issue, I will spray the key with graphite and work it in the lock. But better yet, take a pencil, rub the graphite led all over the key, then work that into the lock with the key. Graphite does not attract or cause other gunk or crap to collect and gum up the lock chamber any more than it already may be.

If you can get the chamber out of the tank and want to clean it, hold the chamber over the garbage and saturate it with aerosol electrical contact cleaner or even brake cleaner to clean the crap away. Any solvent that will evaporate quickly and completely will work. Then do the pencil on the key trick to get lube back into the chamber.

RllwJoe likes this.