Gas smell on HOT day (2008 VFR)

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Nungboy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Hey boys and Girls, I noticed a smell of gasoline around my 2007 VFR yesterday in the afternoon at work. It was at least 107 degrees here in Tucson and the bike was in the sun. I moved it into the shade and a few hours later when I started it up to go home there was no apparent smell. Then, after riding home, I again noticed the smell in the garage (approx the same temp or a bit higher). Is this normal expansion from the gas tank? (It smelled like raw gas.) Tank was about 2/3 full by the way.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. porcupine73

porcupine73 New Member

United States
    Map
    This viffer has an evap emissions system just like all cars these days. There are some various components in there such as carbon canister etc. I believe there is a pressure relief valve in the system to prevent overpressurization of the fuel system. Maybe the vapor pressure of the fuel you were running exceeded the pressure relief and was venting some raw gasoline?

3. Jessiah1

Jessiah1 New Member

Good info. Its very simple. There is a relief built into the gas lid on your tank(on every bike these days). Sometimes some bikes when hot will even whistle at you through this pressure relief. Its normal. If you see gas stains under the bike check your drain hoses, sometimes they sweat(little hoses coming out the bottom of your fairings). Also normal, but happens rarely, 107 might be enough to do that!:smile: That hose I believe is how what Porcupine is speaking of drains the pressure and I have seen small gas puddles under bikes from this.

4. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Thanks guys! (It was sitting in full sun that first time and when I moved it the ambient temp read 111 degrees F.)

5. ZEN biker

ZEN biker New Member

I have noticed the smell at lower temps too, around 25C. As my bike was sitting in the late afternoon sun, it is posible that it was venting vapors. I just moved it to the shade and by the time I was ready to go the smell was gone.

side note, I have lost a cap to the auxilary Evap. Vent on the canister somewhere between home and regina, might have something to do with the smell too.