gas tank problems

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Brian 65, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Brian 65

Brian 65 New Member

Map
    Hey guys.
    I'm new to the site and glad to have found it since I just rebuilt the carbs on my '83 VF750F.
    I put the gas tank on tonight and turned the engine over, but no fire.
    I disconnected the fuel line and found it dry as a bone.
    I took the tank back off and turned the valve to on. Not a drop of gas came out.
    I sloshed the gas around inside the tank ( it only has about 1.5 gal in it) and then gas came out like crazy. I then shut the valve off and put the tank back on the bike.
    I hooked up the fuel line and turned the engine over. Nothing again.
    I checked the fuel line again and it was dry. I opened the fuel valve again with the fuel line off and again no gas coming out. I sloshed the gas around again but this time not a drop of gas coming out with the valve open or on reserve.
    Is this a fuel valve problem? The tank was sitting for months with about 2 gal. in it.
    Any help would be great.
    I also am having problems with loose throttle and choke cables since I put the carbs back on. The clymer manual isn't much help. Do I need new cables?

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    tank

You need to remove the valve and clean it and the tank . Unclear how dirty your tank is but blowing through the tank lines and trying to clean the lines and tank would be my goal.The cables have an adjustment on them near the grip you may want to try that and mabye looking / rechecking your work to be sure they are on correctly.:thumbsup:

3. Brian 65

Brian 65 New Member

Map
    line cleared

Thanks for the tip, man. I shot some compressed air through the tank lines and the fuel was flowing again. Probably the valve was stuck from sitting so long in the off position.
    Got the bike running tonight too. Now for the tuning...