Gear 2.0

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by PyroMcnoob, Sep 13, 2009.

1. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

So I recently upgraded to somethin' a little more appropriate than just a leather cruisin' vest... Here's some pix of the new setup, let me know what you guys think (and bear in mind, my bike is my only transport and it gets over 100F out here in lovely southern CA)

Attached Files:

2. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    does it say mcnoob on the right side of your helmet to complete the full name?

i'm not asking as in an insulting jerk comment... simply curious.

3. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

thats a negative :p most folks just call me "Pyro"... the mcnoob was so I would have a unique username

4. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    PM why not a jacket? Joe Rocket makes one that unzips open under the arms.... not raggin just askin.

5. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

I have a Joe Rocket with all kinds of vents... trouble is, my body regulates at 100 degrees instead of the regular 98.6 (doctor told me so)... so I get hot easily... I found when I tried to ride with it on, I couldn't concentrate on the road cuz I was focusing on my discomfort... sweatin' and all actually made it harer for me to focus... with this gear, I feel cooler, and my mind is on the ride

6. Spike

Spike New Member

wear mesh protective gear, and light colored, not black, you will be cooler in motion than your outfit, because you will keep the sun off your skin
    think about it, when you had the bedouin (sp?) living in the deserts of the middle east and Asia, did they wear a thong? no, the wore light colored, typically white or off white, light gauze like material, flowing robes
    kept the sun off their skin, so it didn't take on heat directly; light colored so it didn't absorb heat, that could be passed on to the wearer; guaze like to allow the air to flow across their skin, and aid in the cooling effect

you can also get a cooling vest to wear under the mesh jacket, some you wet, some hold frozen packets
    push comes to shove, wet your t-shirt, under the mesh jacket, and wet your helmet interior, the effect can be positively chilly, even at over 100 F

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    dude it's over 100 here on the central coast often also. I still wear full leather, and it's even black. I can attest to whats gonna happen when your skin hits that pavement. I work in ICU. A skin graft is much more uncomfortable than a jacket on a hot day. Spike knows what he's talking about...

8. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt. :biggrin:

9. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Pyro:

You haven't done hot until you do a track day in 90 degree heat all suited up. Or your are all suited up and stuck in traffic getting baked by the V4 BBQ grill you ride.

You seem like a good kid. By a good mesh/synthetic jacket and enjoy the sweat!

BZ

10. MrDen

MrDen New Member

+1 on the mesh jacket. I'm in the "Valley of the Sun" where we have four months of 100+ temps, and it's bearable with a good mesh jacket and a wet shirt or cool vest.

11. AndyJ

AndyJ New Member

I'd worry that separate pads would roll or slide on me when I wanted them to stay put. The mesh jacket will keep all those pads where they're supposed to be and keep some protection on forearms as well.
    For a bit of thread creep and to reinforce Reg's assertion, there's a road rash thread on another unnamed site discussing this: Rock The Gear

12. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

PErsonal Preference

I hear what you guys are saying, I really do. But in the end, it comes down to me doing whatever helps me enjoy the ride... I don't ride like most 22yr old :asshat: kids; I took the MSF course, and I know to watch for the other idiots and cagers on the road. It's like my instructor said, "Ride your own ride."

It may sound stupid to you guys, but being comfortable and confident in your gear is just as important as how much it covers. I do have other gear that I wear, when I feel ocassion calls for it. I have leathers and snow pants for rain and cold, my textile jacket for twisties and mountain rides, and my vest and pads.

And, for the record, I have been involved in some close calls, in all sorts of gear in the almost 2 years I've been riding. But I've also seen guys in top-dollar equipment get FUBAR because they don't know how to react to a situation, or they don't know how to fall, or they don't truly know the bike's limits, or whatever...

Comes down to preference and assessment of risk. I've weighed the chances, and for me this gear works.

13. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Then why in the hell did you ask "what you guys (we)" think?

And as an MSF Coach I see you forgot the statictic you take your own self out 40% of the time, in a corner.

Or how about Deer? Ask RVFR what he thinks about ATGATT.

Pyro, if you don't want opinions, do not post up that you do brother.

Peace,

BZ

14. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

I suppose you're right :eek: and the corner thing is true, but then I've never had a problem so far cuz I'm scared crapless of corners, take em nice and slow most of the time (them guys that kneedrag scare the bejeezus outta me)

I really appreciate the views on this forum, that's all... I may not always agree with ya, but at least you guys voice your concerns and preferences... too many of the squids out here ride around with zero gear, wearin' sandals and crap. I sometimes forget that there are riders out there who, ya know, care about someone other than themselves.

15. Spike

Spike New Member

But in proper mesh or perforated gear, you will actually be more comfortable, not less. So you can "enjoy the ride" even more without feeling too hot. Also the gear protects you not just in a crash, but by actually keep ing your body cooler, you are less likely to suffer the effects of dehydration, heat stroke/exhaustion (can never remember which of those is which). One of the signs of those heat related maladies is your critical thinking skills slow down and isn't as good, which on a bike can be disasterous. And extra 10 seconds to think, at 60 MPH, is a lot of distance.

And of course in an actual get off, deer, oil in the road, etc. Your rollarblading pads aren't going to do squat, they just are not designed for the forces you are subjecting them to.

I am telling you, in proper gear, on hot days, you will actually feel cooler. Stopped at a light sucks, but underway is perfectly fine.

look at stuff like

what I use
    http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb3.nsf/Products/A6F99B0A1BE385CF862571EA00725D81?opendocument
    Protective Apparel > Mesh Jackets and Pants :: New Enough, LTD

MARK 2 Sport Rider - PERF - CSV2
    Cycle Gear - MOTOBOSS: Cooling Vest, SILVER

even this. although it is black and looks like it would allow too much sun in, it keeps with your "look" while offering far superior protection from road rash

BODY JACKET SUMMER - Motorbike - English

16. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

I'm in Tucson bro. Wear a f'n mesh jacket at least! Please.

17. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Well. You asked and got answers...and strong opinions on the subject too. I agree with a higher degree of protection even after considering your issue. But at least you gave it thought. Many don't. And it boils down to what is an acceptable risk for you, even though I may not agree. I heat up as well.

Take a look at this LINK: Under Armour HeatGear Metal - webBikeWorld I wear Cold Gear in the summer and so long as you are moving, especially with mesh type jacket, it is actually cool on the skin. Mine is not motorcycle specific though. For the $40.00 for a t-shirt, it is worth giving it a try. But something is better than nothing at all

18. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Sheesh!! I don't even know what to say. it's your arse, But take it from those that know is all. You asked. Do I need to throw up some photos? Sorry but man having the right gear isn't an option IMO.. but it's a free world, so there ya have it.

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I was waiting for you to post up Jay

20. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    In Houston its gotten to 100 degrees. Thats still not adding the humidity factor. Here in the south we can have 98% humidity and not a cloud in the sky and yes I still rock the gear. Sucks while your at a stop but the benifits out weigh the alternative. Driven with too many people in the back of an ambulance to know better. What you are sporting will probably protect you from a fall but there is of course the slide. Dress for the slide, not the ride. Of course in a perfect world where there are no accidents I would wear ass-less chaps and sunglasses. :eek: :biggrin: