Gear Driven Cam noise ?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by John451, Nov 14, 2009.

1. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Anyone noticed if some Gen 5s Gear Driven cams whine noisier then others ?

After a 3 day ride last weekend noticed my Gen 5 '99s Gear Driven cams whine seemed a bit a louder than my buddys similar milage '01, has anyone else noticed this, is it normal they vary and can they be adjusted ? :confused:

2. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    They vary. I had an 85 VF1000R that was so quiet you could hardly hear the whine. They are not adjustable. If the whine has changed - gotten louder - then something may be up and an inspection could be in order. If they were just louder than his but the same as they have always been in your bike I would not worry about it.

3. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Was just one of those things where I walked over to his VFR idling at a stop then back to mine and noticed mine sounded louder, what sort of things can be checked if anything to work out if their is or not an issue ?

4. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Gear whine. That sweet engine music......

This exact same question was asked back in August by forum member Chickenstrip in his post "excessive gear whine??? or not?" It's currently on page three of this 5th gen forum.
    As I stated in that post,even with two of the same model machine,no two pieces of machinery are exactly the same. Some are louder,some run smoother,some make more power,etc. I've been working on and around machinery for most of my life,that's just the nature of machinery John. I wouldn't be to concerned with it.
    If it helps you to know this,I've noticed that the gear whine on my RC51 is a bit louder than some of the other 51's that Ive seen,but it runs perfectly fine. It's funny though,you never actually notice these sort of things until you have another machine to compare it with.

5. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Too true, wasn't overly concerned just an observation.

Actually had a look at a few '99 VFR800 walk arounds and see they vary quite abit like this clean '99 walk around example which seems quite a bit noisier in comparison to its exhaust than mine does, warning it takes 2:29 to get to it idling on its right side.

6. e cabrera

e cabrera New Member

check the oil

Hello¡
    I noticed that when I change the engine oil the whine sound seems to decrease, maybe you need to change you oil because the degradation of it caused by time and hot temperature, and engine oil lubricates the clutch and transmission.
    I recommend to use 20w50 instead of 10w40 if you bike is more of 30000miles in odometer.

7. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    The gear whine on my '86 750 is significantly louder than that of my '86 1000. I too have noticed the difference, but didn't think anything of it since it was between different models.

8. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    The oil in wasn't old, only maybe 1000miles/1 week on it at the time and the same Motul 5100 10/40 4T Semi Synthetic he normally uses.

A " stoshmonster " indicates its most likely a natural variation from one machine to the next or was also speculating as I was walking between my '99 Mk1 to mates '01 Mk2 if it's one of those little refinment differences between Mks like the front fork valving, rear suspension rubber compounds and clutch master cylinder ratio / plates number ie wonder if they made a GDR tolerence change in factory to quieten it down a little ?

9. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I milled the heads on my 86 back in 1992 and the howl of the gear drive is intense. Not a thing I advise unless careful measurments are done because if goofed up or guessed at, will cause serious problems.

10. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    Louder is better when it comes to that sweet VFR music!