Gear selector lever

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by KiwiRC36Fan, Jan 3, 2019.

1. KiwiRC36Fan

KiwiRC36Fan New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Hi team,

my new (first) VFR project is coming along swimmingly (excitingly!) however I am having trouble finding a new gear (slector) lever - which has (for some known-only-to-god reason) been replaced with a cheap low quality replacement that appears to be rusted (and is ugly AF)

Is the gear selector lever interchangeable with the Gen 5 (or later)?

My immediate (and less favourable) alternative is to simple remove it and throw it in the ultrasonic bath and then apply a new paint and rubber to the peg itself....
    But I'd much rather spend 3 minutes taking it off, tossing it into my ever-growing magical box of "spares" and just putting something that looks good and is pleasantly effective (ie rubberised)

Any ideas what would be easiest to source?

thanks

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

According to Partzilla, the gearshift lever is the same for 94-97 but doesn't show it goes beyond that or even other non VFR models. The 98-01 does show that it fits later models as well as other non VFR models. This link below shows the 98+ lever next to a ruler, which might help you get an idea of size/shape. I imagine the diameter and the splines on the shaft could be different but would think the length and offset of the lever would be a good possibility too.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/24701-MAT-000?ref=14844f8026a9f43f05830a5cd44de1ec4cfcc78c

3. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Got a local MC junkyard?

4. upwinger

upwinger New Member

United States
    Map
    I made my own rear sets, about 2" back and about 1" up. Very easy to do on our gen... just use 1/4"-3/8" Al plate
    I highly recommend the FactoryPro shift kit. It makes shifting so much smoother. It shifts like butter now.
    I never would have spent the money on the shift kit if I hadn't experienced the kit on a Honda Superhawk that I bought with it already installed.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    NorcalBoy and KiwiRC36Fan like this.
  5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

+1 on anything from Factory Pro.