Gen 1 running fully synthetic Oil OK?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by rainman6, Apr 7, 2013.

1. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    I have purchased some Silkolene Comp 4 10W-40 Synthetic Ester oil for motorcycles.

I am planning to use it on my Gen 1. But I am hesitant as I am not sure if I should be using a more traditional oil on an older motor - I know if the Gen 1 isn't happy with the lubrication I can kiss my Cams goodbye!

Anyone else running synthetic oil on their Gen 1?

2. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    It's probably overkill but I am sure it will be fine. I plan on doing the same when mine is up for an oil change. Some claim synthetics will expose potential gasket leaks more easily but I think this is more likely just down to synthetics being available with lower viscosities.

You can find any answer you want on the internet when it comes to oil.

3. joerider

joerider New Member

Map
    Stick to a 10-40 motorcycle oil, regardless of whose it is. Make sure the Engine is warmed up good before you ride off. it takes a long time for oil to get up, into and fill the cams (yes they are hollow and fill with oil) before they get oil to the rockers and on and on. regular oil changes!!! and warm up is the KEY

4. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I ran full synthetic in my 1986 VF500F, 1986 VFR750F and 1986 VF1000R with no problems at all. Technically, the 500 is a 1st Gen design.

5. 577nitroexpress

577nitroexpress New Member

United States
    After seeing a 1990 FZR750 using Mobile 1 full synthetic run its radiator dry in an endurance race, and continue racing (at fulll speed and power), running on nothing but the oil, I was convinced as to its effectiveness. My vehicles use nothing but M1 full synthetic. JM2C

6. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

I read an interesting article the other week, where due to changes in the classification laws in the USA & Europe, class 3 oils are now branded as Synthetic & if it contains esters its a Class 3 oil, so petroleum based & thus NOT fully synthetic ! Mobile 1 0w-30 is the only true Fully Synthetic oil on the US/Euro market. They companies are now selling Class 3 oils as Synthetic & at higher prices than its worth (more margin!) Class 2 oils i.e. those sold as NOT synthetic are just as good & about half the price !!!!!!

It may be different in Aus, but you'd best check. Fully synthetic is better everywhere in your engine except the clutch, but if the springs & plates are good it will NOT slip, so no worries !

7. lsc86

lsc86 New Member

United States
    Map
    You running same oil for 5 years straight? You putting 8k miles on before oil changes? You running max RPM from startup?

I don't work for HRC and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but in my own V4 real world experience, the great "oil & top end wear" debate isn't nearly as critical as some would preach- it sure as hell isn't walking on raw egg shells. Nominal oil/filter swap intervals, quality oil/filter, full warmup and non-full race usage should yield more than acceptable longevity.

8. 4a15

4a15 New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey look everyone!:deadhorse:

Over on ar15.com we ask, "Is steel case wolf ok to shoot in my AR?"
    Just giving a hard time. But since were on the topic, can I use cheaper car oil filters instead of motorcycle filters?