Gen 5 in the Bay!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DSA, Jul 30, 2019.

1. DSA

DSA New Member

United States
    [Initially put this in the new rider section, but it belongs here].

Howdy guys, I've just gotten myself a Y2K!. 15,000 miles on the odometer; previous owner used it sparingly but took it for a spin periodically. Other features:
    - It's running a 2bros C-series titanium exhaust. It sounds great, but it's high mount which means I can't use the soft bags it came with (previous owner didn't use them either). The stock exhaust also came with the bike - I'll need to swap it in and see if sound > bags.
    - It has bar risers and a corbin seat, both of which I'm a fan of.
    - Aftermarket windshield, but thankfully it came with the stock one too. Can't wait to switch it out...I love the look of the stock fairing/windshield.
    - The tires on it are from 2003. This needs to change immediately. I'm running Dunlop Q3s on my CBR1000f, and love them. Might try Roadmaster 2s or 3s on this. Any experience with either of these? I want something sport touring that will last a while.
    - R/R is stock. That needs to be fixed, which I'll do.

I've put around 50 miles on it between yesterday and today (dicey on those tires, but I can't help myself), and here are some first impressions:

- The sound is divine. That high pitched gear whine combined with the v4 growl just sounds so good. I wish it were even louder, but I bet my neighbors don't.
    - It is buttery smooth until about 5.5k rpm, after which I do feel some vibes, mostly through the seat. Nothing too disruptive, and I can probably cruise for quite a while at 70+ mph before it gets to be a hassle. Still a bit surprised, as there is quite a jarring transition when the vibes suddenly come in.
    - It really doesn't seem to like being operated under 3,500 rpm. It's then pretty anemic until just under 5k, after which it quits screwing around and absolutely GOES. This is going to take some getting used to after the CBR1000f, which you can drive like car and shift at 3,000 if you feel like it. Not a complaint, just an observation.
    - It idles at 2k rpm cold, and stays that way for a bit. Indicated temp was around 165F on the freeway, and after maybe 15 minutes of riding, the idle dropped down to ~1250 rpm. I assume this is the wax idler thing at work?
    - It needs a general refresh: brake pads, brake fluid, clutch fluid, chain tension, throttle cable free play adjustment, oil change. Nothing I haven't had to do on my CBR (it has 66,000 miles on it); just gotta work through em one by one. Cannot wait to see what it feels like when I'm done with all this.

It's interesting (and somewhat inevitable) to compare it to the CBR1000f (its a 1993). Being old Hondas, they feel the same in all the right ways (smooth, nice build quality, linear throttle response), but then so different as well: they sound very different, and the VFR needs more revs. The VFR is no match in terms of brute power, but it's so much lighter, and I can actually flog the bike through the first few gears without being in danger of going to jail or dying.

Thanks again for all the good advice I received prior to the purchase, and look forward to being a part of this community!

p.s. I might sound quite critical above, but God, I love looking at, listening to and riding this bike. I suspect we're going to be together for a long time!

Attached Files:

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Nothing like a VFR. Very cool.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Welcome new 5th genner... I'll see if I can answer some of your questions...
    - Your first riding comment is the sound is divine... I agree totally! Just crank that throttle up and the sound tickles a spot in my brain, never gets old.
    - It does have a minor vibe at the 5500 rpm, Honda weighted the pegs to try to dampen that out for the rider...
    - The idle thing - yeah, its the wax control unit, it will idle kinda high at start up, and over a warmed up temp it will open up and allow normal idle.
    (That why I like the fast idle lever, I control the idle the way I want.)
    - Looks like you got all the maintenance covered...
    - And it seems like the topic that has unintentionally been pinned on me, but the charging system. R/R,stator, battery, harness.
    >>>If you work on this, plz do it right and not half assed.... Too many times, someone asks whats wrong and how to fix.. then I tell them, and they do something else and then still come back and ask wahts wrong again.(kinda old) >> When you go down that road, check out a topic "the drill" and we can work from there.
    If you just want to change the R/R now, then go to www.roadstercycle.com - Grab a FH020AA R/R --- The other choice is the SH847AA but it is physically larger and more trouble to mount.

Thats all for now, looks like you have great bike :wheelie:

4. DSA

DSA New Member

United States
    Thanks guys!
    - Yeah, not a fan of this wax idler. I highly doubt it needs this long to warm up, and I'm used to operating a choke switch in any case. Ah well.
    - Thanks for the R/R advice. No intention of half-assing it.