Gen 6 Tail Tidy, Fender Eliminator (age old question)...

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Swannee, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Swannee

Swannee New Member

OK. Firstly, G'day from downunder.....

Secondly, Ozzie number plates are different to U.S. or UK or Europe, (185mm x 95mm) That's around 6inches x 4inches for non decimal.

Thirdly, as a result our plates (Oz) do not fit between standard OR after market pipes as seen in many U.S posts re Tail Tidy/Fender Eliminator (ref to now as TT for ease).

Before I go any further I am making some assumptions as I don't want to tell anyone how to suck eggs (not sure if that is an Ozzie saying but basically means I'm not going to insult you by telling you how to do the simplest of things).

I have had a lot of trouble finding an aftermarket TT for the Gen 6 (my ride is 2011). When I first bought my ride (brand new, so 2011) I did much searching for same. I did once see a post, not sure where, but found that the bracket that lives underneath the plastic Fender (ie mudflap) makes a good TT, so I proceeded to use that. In summary, take seat off, remove 2 bolts securing bracket through Fender, remove another 2 bolts directly securing into captive nuts in Fender (so these 4 from under seat), remove 2 bolts from underneath Fender, remove number plate holder (bracket/number plate light) from Fender (don't forget to disconnect Number Plate light assy). Re-secure bracket with fender removed. this uses 2 bolts directly from under seat into bracket and 2 bolts from underneath where the fender (mud flap) previously lived. One thing to note, the 2 bolts that go from the top into the bracket need to have washers (or some sort of bushing to sit ON TOP of the bracket) to fill out the stepped 'nut' of the bracket. This is a bit hard to explain but when you see my pics below you will understand what I mean.

Bracket Descr.jpg Bracket Descr 2.jpg

Re-affix Number plate holder/Number plate light to Bracket (now called TT). Sorry, I do not have any pics of this process as I did it some time
    ago and without posting in mind. Onto this, I bolted a bracket that connects the 2 brackets I use for my Givi Panniers when touring. Keep that in mind... So first edition of my TT was complete. Until....

Recently went out for a ride on one of our great roads north of Sydney up towards our Central Coast area. This road is called the Old Pacific Highway. It has some great winding tight and relaxed corners, can be a bit wet at times in some corners so I am always more cautious. There is also a great pie shop called 'Pie in The Sky', Google it! On this ride... I lost my number plate and all the affixing hardware. As it turned out the bolts had not come undone, moreover, the bracket that I used from under my Fender had fractured just above the number plate and totally separated from the piece that was bolted up under the seat.

Broken bits.jpg Fractured.jpg

I didn't notice this straight away and had to do return trip 1 week later via 4 wheels to locate the missing pieces. I have a personalised plate so I had to find it to get it reproduced the same. A good Samaritan had placed the plate and Givi bracket on top of the road armco barrier.

Now that I had all the bits back, I promptly ordered a new number plate, got the bracket welded (mate of mine has a stainless workshop, he used TIG welder as this is not my speciality), got some paint and primer and set about fixing this up.

weld 1.jpg weld 2.jpg undercoat.jpg topcoat.jpg
    fitted.jpg fitted 2.jpg

After finishing off paint, time to drill holes for 1/4in or 5mm stainless bolts with nylocs (locknuts). Trial fit, final paint, and then finally fit new number plate to newly manufactured mounting plate. 3mm alloy. Could also use 2mm alloy (easier to bend over anvil etc).

plate1.jpg plate2.jpg plate3.jpg plate4.jpg
    platedfitted.jpg platedfitted2.jpg
    number plate trial.jpg number plate final.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016