Gen5 motor vs. Gen8

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by VScot, Nov 28, 2021.

1. VScot

VScot New Member

United States
    Technical interest here. But first, some background: I sold my pearl white 2014 VFR800. I knew I'd regret it. But, and I'll say this quietly, I'm not a V-tec fan.
    So I'm getting motivated to look at gen5 bikes.
    Question:It appears that the gen5 engine is fundamentally the same as the following generations. I'm talking about parts like crank, rods, pistons, cases. Is this accurate?
    Thank you in advance.

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I dont know as far as going through the parts list on Partszilla, but I'm sure the cases have to be different to accommodate the gear driven cams vs the VTEC and cam chain....

People have installed 5th gen engines in 6th gen frames......

VScot likes this.
  3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm sure others know more than I do, but the major differences are in the cylinder heads. The crankshaft will have a gear for the chain driven cams, the camshaft/head arrangement will be much different. The basic engine block will be very similar. The ECU/engine management of course will also be different, but FI systems tend to have many of the same sensors and inputs.

While I've never had a V-tec, I'd venture to say all the V-tecs will be very similar hardware-wise.

mello dude and VScot like this.