Getting an '84 VF500F Running

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Banana12, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Banana12

Banana12 New Member

Hi everyone,

I just got a 1984 VF500F from an auction at my local motorcycle dealer (and the FZR in the background).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They said the PO had told them it had been sitting and would not start. After looking over it, the dealership said it needed the carbs and fuel system gone thru and the owner ended up leaving it after hearing the pricing on it.

After getting it home, and some tinkering, it fired up off of carb cleaner. When I took the carbs off to clean them I discovered the dealership seems to have "misplaced" the airbox when they messed with it :rolleyes: so now I need to find an airbox (or go to pods if that is even possible on these?)

Anyway, the circuits and jets were all gummed up as to be expected, but carb #2 was surprisingly nasty (sorry about the bad cell phone pics)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After plenty of cleaning the carbs should be good to back on her now, and yes I got new boots for it.

Some of the fuel lines are missing also, so I'll be replacing those. Any suggestions of the airbox dilemma, or should I be scouting eBay already?

2. ThatVF500Guy

ThatVF500Guy New Member

Map
    I doubt you could figure out a way to run pods on these so yes, go to ebay for an air box. That carb is mess. Make sure you unscrew the fuel needle seat and clean out behind it. Ask me how I know... You should also replace the bowl seals with some new o-rings. Search under my name top find my post on where to get them.
    Good luck,
    Jim

3. Banana12

Banana12 New Member

So I finished cleaning out the carbs and reassembling them as well as purchasing an air box and filter for her. Then I went to bench synch the carbs and saw that the linkage seems to be missing a few pieces. I highlighted my areas of concern in the pictures below:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In picture one: The red area- there seems to be a screw or spring missing right next to the visible screw that would get the linkage to interact
    The yellow area- I am unsure if a spacer or anything should be in that area or just the spring keeps enough tension to hold everything correctly

In picture two: it may be hard to see but I believe a spring or bolt runs between those two tabs since you can see a spring next to it

In picture three: it looks like those tabs should somehow interact but there is nothing there

I have looked in my FSM, Clymer manual and on a parts fiche but can not determine how exactly the linkage should go together. If anyone could chime in on how to set up these poor carbs it would be much appreciated!

4. ALANBBBK

ALANBBBK New Member

Check out page 53 of the clymer. Shows the underside of the carbs together and the three pilot screws for adjusting the carbs. Each screw has two springs if memory serves. Hope this is of help but by the looks of it you have a few screws and springs missing. May sound silly but check between the engine heads as there is a tight little crevis there that catches the springs/screws if teh carbs are removed without the air/carb plate.

Al

5. Banana12

Banana12 New Member

Thanks Al! I was looking in the wrong section of the manual

I will have to check for the screws when I get home but I'm doubtful of them still being there. I fear that whenever someone last tried to get it running they were lost forever, just like the original airbox

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    The adjusting screws have thicker springs around them, and the tabs under them have thinner springs below. Once things are together, all throttle plates should move together without slop. Boil all brassy pieces--needle seat, main jet and its tube, idle jet--in a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water for about 20 minutes.

IMG_1672. jpg.JPG

Be sure the float needle sides are clean and free from oxidation or they may stick, causing carbs to overflow.

Last edited: May 7, 2013