Givi Sport Touring Windscreen

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Colorado11k, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Colorado11k

Colorado11k New Member

Installed a new Givi ST windscreen on my 6th Gen (2003) today. For those who are interested, I'm attaching before & after shots to contrast the OEM & Givi. (Note: You must be logged-in to see the pics.)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    How do you like the givi compared to the stock screen? My 99 came with the givi screen and being only 5'7" it seems to put alot of buffeting right into my faceshield. I've been debating picking up a stock screen, I'm curious to see how it compares to the givi even if your bike is a 6th gen. The screens are very similar in shape.

3. Scuba71

Scuba71 New Member

I like it.
    Give us an update on how it works after a few rides.

4. Colorado11k

Colorado11k New Member

I took the new windscreen on a 50 mile ride today. BLUF (Bottom-Line Up Front): I love it!

DISCLAIMER:
    My take on windscreens... How tall you are has almost nothing to do with how a windscreen performs for you. What matters most is sitting height combined with arm length. I am 5'9, with a 29" inseam on a good day. This translates to a very long, neanderthal-like torso. My sitting height more closely approximates the average sitting height of people over 6'. All of this is to say that results vary by individual--my results with this screen may not be yours.

OEM:
    With the OEM (stock) screen, the airflow hit me in the throat and the turbulence tossed around my helmet around like a next-gen bobblehead. Ten miles on the freeway and I had the beginnings of whiplash.

GIVI:
    With the Givi screen, a defined sheet of air hits me at the top of the chin bar (bottom of the visor). The helmet noise level seemed about the same (Shoei RF1000), but the difference in my head's stability is night/day. I tested it around town and "at speed," with the same stable result for my head, and the bike was also extremely stable--possibly more stable than with the OEM screen. I also tested it while positioned as if I had the Heli-bars I intend to purchase, and I still had the same result (the air hit the top of my chin bar).

CONCLUSION:
    I'm VERY happy with this purchase!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  5. pastorgumby

pastorgumby New Member

great pics and write up, thanks!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  6. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    Alrighty then, I think I will not spend my money on seeing how a stock sized screen would work for me based on your review of the givi compared to the stocker. Thanks for the write up.

7. Spike

Spike New Member

why not find a local VFR'r with the givi and do a swap out of the stock screen? Must be someone near you, no? Or set up a search on EBay for a stock screen, lots of people swap them out, and have no use for the stock ones.