Going on a cruise... got any info about these ports?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by elwray, May 24, 2010.

1. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    I recently booked a 10-night Royal Caribbean Cruise.

Here is the info page.

Departs from Bayonne, NJ
    10/28/2010 - 11/7/2010

Ports of call:

• Labadee, Haiti
    • Samana, Dominican Republic
    • Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
    • Basseterre, St. Kitts

Since it leaves locally, NO AIR TRAVEL IS NEEDED for me, which is what partly sold me on the trip in the first place. No, I'm not afraid of flying... I just find it to be extremely inconvenient, time consuming, expensive, and unappealing. It is such a pain in the ass.... but, I digress. That's a topic for a different thread ;)

It leaves NJ at the end of October, followed by two days at sea. So yes, it will likely be chilly until we make some headway southward.

Got a cabin booked for me and my girlfriend, came to about $770 each for the inside cabin, and we booked during a "sale" window of two days where they gave us a $200 on-board credit to share. We can use that for excursions, drinks, etc.. basically anything you'd buy on the ship. My mom and two sisters are going as well, and are sharing a larger balcony cabin down the hall.

All in all, I think it's a pretty damn good deal at under $800 (plus the $200 credit!) for a 10 night vacation, which I don't have to spend any more money on (though of course I will -- alcohol, tips, excursions, etc)... consider it a room and all food included for $80 a night. Not bad.

What I'd like input from you all (if you have any) is on the ports... anyone been to these? What should I expect? Anything in particular I have to do? Anything in particular to stay away from?

I've been to Labadee, Haiti on a previous RC cruise. It's their private island... just hang out on the beach and drink.. maybe snorkel. Nice and relaxing day.

From what I've read about Samana, DR... it's not a great place; very poor and dirty. But a beautiful tropical island. To me the descriptions make it sound similar to Jamaica, where I've been several times. Would be nice just to find a safe beach to go to, and hang out for the day.

I've been to St. Thomas... that will likely be where the girls (aka everyone else I'm with :rolleyes: lol) will be shopping for knock off designer hand bags.

Basseterre, St. Kitts. Never been there before; don't know a whole lot about it. Any input??

The cheap cabins are still available, just no $200 credit - maybe some of you guys or gals will be joining on this vacation?? :D

2. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    You can typically sneak your own alcohol on cruises very easily. Put it in things like empty mouth wash bottles and such (or just wrap the bottle in a thick sweatshirt). Most cruises give you free juices or a one time purchase unlimited soda card. Get the mixer of you choice and add your own alcohol!

3. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    You cheap bastard!.....

Actually, we're saving up the empty Listerene bottles now :laugh:

4. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    lol...you wont call me cheap once you see the prices they want for the drinks on the ship!

Note: make sure to REALLY wash out the bottles, unless you want some minty fresh alcohol.

5. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Haha I'm just yankin' yer chain. I've been on several cruises before - it's absurd what they charge!

6. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    yup...exactly why i became "cheap!" or smart...whatever you wanna cal it.