got the $900 cl bike back from the local shop

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by loosenoose, Sep 2, 2017.

1. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    my local shop guy did me good. with harvey making a mess of everything, i was a little worried about flooding, or looting, taking my bike, but it survived, and my guy got the brake lines flushed, and recovered the seat. the bike looks gooooood now.
    tomorrow i plan to tackle what i hope are the last issues with the bike. it's overheating real bad. i have the thermostat, and i might have filled it too full when i flushed the rad early in the build. the other problem is that i need to lower the idle. for the 98/99 is there an easy way to do this, or do i have to mess with the starter valves? i dont remember seeing any adjustment knob

Attached Files:

2. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    oh yeah, the shop only charged $150 for the PITA brake line flush, and the seat cover install. both of those jobs were giving me too much trouble to bother with any further, and this guy, john, knocked it out. the shop was bbt cycles, between montgomery and conroe, for any other members in that area.

OOTV likes this.
  3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Always good when you can find an honest shop that does the job right.

loosenoose likes this.
  4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    it was faIRLY simple, after all.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

And yet there are many that fail at that...

loosenoose likes this.
  6. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    dont know how many bikes i have bled the brakes on that were never this tough. it was hot as hell, we had a hurricane coming, and i had no idea how to fix it, so this guy was great.

7. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    Can anyone tell me what this part is? The sensor or whatever, under te clutch cover....
    The bike warms up and coolant starts coming out of this. Do you think it is fixable, or should i buy a new whatever that is?

Attached Files:

8. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    i guess that's the neutral switch. i'm looking through the service manual right now.
    i'm about to get into the cooling system, in the pdf. it sure looked like coolant was shooting out of the neutral switch... if it wasnt coming from there, where would it be coming from??

9. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    i guess the coolant is coming from the reserve drain tube. the reserve tank filled up yesterday, when i rode the bike home.
    i replaced the thermostat this morning. it looks like the system is low on coolant because it mostly boiled out yesterday. ... also the fan does not ever turn off. it starts spinning as soon as i turn the key to on.

10. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    I think the bike's good now, actually. I added more coolant and presssurized the system and its running a lot cooler now.

11. OOTV

OOTV Insider

For good measure, replace the radiator cap. My 6 Gen was spilling coolant and turned out to be the radiator cap. Being that they're only a few bucks, good insurance.

12. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    the rad cap is good. it holds pressure just fine. the system had lost a lot of coolant from overheating when i rode it yesterday, also this was before i got the new thermostat in. now it's not boiling over, and it seems to be good. i think i also had left a lot of air in the system, which just isnt good.

13. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    Took the bike for a little shakedown ride. I feakin love it!
    Why can i go 100mph in second gear?! Nobody needs that! Hahahaha this bike!

Attached Files:

14. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    The 5g idle adjuster is accessed through the hole in the right frame spar by your knee, might have a rubber plug in the hole. There is a phillips head screw in there, which bears on the starter valve plate. Basically the plate lifts the 4 starter valves together to increase the idle. The cold start lever (98-99) or wax unit (00-01) bear on the same plate to lift the idle when cold.

loosenoose likes this.
  15. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    Thank you!

Also, the only gas station in this town out here has bad gas from the flood. I just broke down on the side of the road, in the middle of nowhere

16. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I may have to dig in and replace my thermostat. My bike runs hot. New rad cap when I got it, so it's not that. Coolant has been flushed too, water, Redline coolant additive and just a little coolant. I even ran some cleaner through it, but it looks like the thermo doesn't open all the way or something. Traffic sees it go up pretty high, fan spins, but it doesn't come down. WHile moving on the freeway with undisturbed air it comes down, but I've seen it stay above 226F before even on the road. Riding hard, I've seen it hit 253, in the canyons 233+ is common. I know it's a VFR and they run hot, but my 05 never ran this hot. Something's not quite right.

17. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    mine was running 340 yesterday. today's ride saw much better temps, around 210. didnt do much to fix it, either. just added coolant, and ran the bike until it was warm, with the rad cap off. i capped it once there werent any more bubbles and it had warmed to normal operating temp

18. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    My experience with the VFR is that is will stay around 176F on the open road no matter how warm a day or how hard I rag on it, but show it some slow traffic or stop-start and the temps creep up. Around 210-220 is where the fan should come on, but I've certainly seen it go to 230 or more in traffic.

Lint I'd say you may be right about a dodgy thermostat, may not be opening fully or jammed part-open.

19. loosenoose

loosenoose New Member

United States
    after i got home, i drained some gas into a clear container and saw a bad amount of water in the gas. it looked basically like semen (i calls em like i sees em) sitting below the gas. i drained most of the gas into a bucket and replaced it with fresh gas. the bike would run just a little, but with a lot of difficulty. i'm going to get some HEET or other water in the tank additive tomorrow, and put more premium go sauce into the bike, and hopefully that will work.
    i'm telling you... my freaking luck.
    i got the bike running and got it out there to have some fun, and got water in the tank. TGHE^VH#Y#^VY#$^%^&$$^#Y@##V$$##$$#$#
    basically i felt like exploding.

20. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    340F is a big NOPE.
    You should check your cooling system completely... Cap replacement is a good investment (of 10usd) for discarding future problems.
    Otherwise there are lots of tubing for cooling in this bike, and a simple bad joint in one of them could drop all the coolant without you noticing until its too late... Check that cooling system carefully.