GPS setup on my '03

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Suko, Jun 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Suko

Suko New Member

I wanted to have my GPS mounted to the bike ('03) for some time now and finally got around to getting a Ram mount. I previously would put my GPS in tank bag's clear map pocket but I found myself having to look directly down to see the screen which I didn’t care for.

Ram parts used:
    - (1) RAM Mount Medium Arm B-Socket Model: RAM-B-201U SKU:RAMB201
    - (1) RAM Mount Motorcycle Fork Stem Base with 1 inch Ball Model: RAM-B-342U SKU:RAMB342
    - (1) RAM Mount Diamond Plate with 1 inch Ball Model: RAP-B-238U SKU:RAPB238
    - (1) RAM Mount Garmin nuvi 200W 465T Cradle Model: RAM-HOL-GA25U SKU:RAMHOLGA25 (note: cradle varies per application, you need to order the appropriate cradle for your particular GPS model, as you can see, mine is a Garmin nuvi 200W)

Purchased from GPSCity.com, total was $38.48 shipped, arrived in 3 business days. I really didn't shop around so these parts might be cheaper somewhere else.

A few notes on installation:
    The actual installation is pretty easy, the only tricky thing is getting the "rubber expansion plug" to fit snug in the fork stem. Doing so requires a lot of torque on a very small bolt which expands the rubber plug. I used my Craftsman T-grip hex key (3 mm) for this. I can't imagine being able to crank the bolt tight enough to expand the rubber plug with a standard (L-shape) hex key/allen wrench. Other than that, the rest was a snap.

It works great, I plug the unit into my 12V cigarette lighter style plug and wrap the excess cord around the mounting base.

If anyone would like additional info, let me know.

Anyways, here my the setup:

Attached Files:

2. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    That's where I've got mine! Works perfect, no interference with tank bag or controls.

Where's your plug outlet? Mine is mounted in the inner left fairing directly below the left clipon.

3. Suko

Suko New Member

Mine is mounted in the exact same place, it works quite well!

4. ddavidson

ddavidson New Member

Canada
    Map
    Nice set up. I did the same thing but I found the rubber plug was too narrow for the stem hole. I replaced it with a rubber "cork" that many winemakers now use instead of real cork to seal a bottle of wine.
    Did the rubber plug in your kit fit the stem whole?
    Thanks,

5. Suko

Suko New Member

gps plug.JPG
    The rubber plug worked for me. I had to cut the plug down in two places. See attached for the picture of the plug from the instructions and my notes for where I made the cuts. Then I selected the approiate sized "WASHER SET WITH NUT POCKET AND GRIPPER TEETH" from the ones provided, (I think it was the second largest one) and I cranked on that bolt until the rubber plug expaned enough for a snug fit in the stem whole. It took a fair amount of muscle to crank the bolt and expand the rubber plug enough to fit, but I got it to work. Let me know if you need more details, I am not the best on giving (or following for that matter) directions.

6. ddavidson

ddavidson New Member

Canada
    Map
    I found that the uppermost portion of the plug (the part above your upper cut line) would fall right through the stem hole so I figured it could not be expanded enough by the bolt to fit properly. Was the upper part snug when you first put it in the stem hole?
    Good graphic and thanks for the explanation.

7. Suko

Suko New Member

No, the upper part was not snug and I had serious doubts that it would work. I was determined to make it work, so I just kept cranking on it until fit. Your method of using a rubber cork is pretty crafty, glad that worked for you.

8. piyushpatidar

piyushpatidar New Member

Thanks for sharing this. It worked out exactly as you said.

9. Webber

Webber New Member

Lookin Good Guys!! Mine is in almost identical position with one exception. There is also a RAM mount base that utilises the two small bolts at the front of the tank. I've got a Garmin Nuvi 765 (4.3" screen) and the base is actually a handlebar mount, but you discard the U bolt. It fits perfectly onto the spread of these two oem bolts. The part no. is RAM-B-149Z. It takes 5 minutes to fit and has all you need included (except holder for GPS itself). Fantastic!!!!!!!

10. rondo255

rondo255 New Member

United States
    I like the more solid mount at front of tank too!!!!

I could never get the steering stem mount to hold as tight as I like. This seemed to be the best with the Tom Tom Rider 2. Wiring was tech over kill with relay to a new accessory marine style fuse block. Final exit is right side of steering head so not to flex wires too much around triple clamp. This works clean and reliable.

Attached Files:

11. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

With the stem mount you need to just throw away the rubber and run a bolt all the way down the stem tube. Put a big washer with small hole, lock washer, and nut.

The plug probably fits sport bike's stems better since they are smaller. I cranked the crap out of mine and it would get tight, but as soon as the frame got hot, it would loosen the rubber, then add weight and it was useless.

12. matlock

matlock New Member

Hi Suko
    thanks for the post. I've just done very similar with my Strike Genius GPS on my '99, but found the rubber bung down the steering stem was a hassle. Rather than trying to force the the bung to fit, the easy solution was to drill out the internal thread on the stem ball mount, and use a 1" longer 6mm bolt for the front tank mount. That sits the bottom stem ball a little lower and back towards the tank, centred between the two tank bolts. I've also used the 3" RAM arm, but I might get the 5.25" for when I have the tank bag on. Photos on request!
    regards, Matlock

13. Webber

Webber New Member

'THE TIP'--To secure RAM fitting to front of tank!!! Best go to your local hardware and get longer bolts with matching thread. These will give you a bit more BITE and save the fittings vibrating loose........... OEM's are a touch too short !!!!!!!

14. HzE

HzE New Member

Finland
    Map
    Here's the Zumo 220 on my bike. I also installed the RAM-fitting to the front end of the tank. Just replaced the original bolts with a bit longer one's.

[​IMG] (click for a bigger picture)

And yeah I know, the brake fluids were a bit old :embarassed: