Gps

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Hopsterman, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Hopsterman

Hopsterman New Member

Australia
    Map
    Has anyone here mounted a GPS on thier bike?
    And was it a distraction?

I've got a Garmin GPSmap 60C.
    Although it could be a great help, im a bit worried it might be too much of a distraction.

2. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    I put mine under the clear plastic map pocket on my tank bag. It was a little distracting at first but I like it now. In addition to learning my speedo reads about 6 mph high, it's nice to use when I go up into the mountains. I wouldn't mind finding a more permanent mount but I don't use it enough to justify it right now. Mine's a Garmin and the have a handle bar mount for bicycles that I think I could adapt.

Action

3. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    I've got a Garmin SP 2610, pics are in my gallery.

I find it to be very helpful, I look at a map & 5 minutes later I've forgotten what I was trying to remember. :redface:

I've just bought an Autocom, getting it installed tomorrow. Then I'll be able to hear the voice instructions from the GPS.

4. Bugxprt

Bugxprt New Member

The end of a dirt road a little South of Six Mile,
    I have a 2610 mounted on my Guzzi EV. I've been very pleased with it, and very pleased to have it on the bike. It's a big sucker, though, and I can't figure out how to mount it on the VFR.

It's not waterproof, however. Not at all. I'm on my third one - first one got wet, replacement didn't work properly, and I'm having software issues with the third. Customer support has been good so far; I'm going to call Monday to see why the new unit won't calculate routes on anything other than major roads. And I don't want to ride on the big straight flat highways. :wink:

Also - while I bought a set of helmet speakers and can listen to it nag me about turning here or going there, I rarely use them any more. I find I can do almost as well just keeping an eye on it and, if I had it to do over again, wouldn't have spent the money on the speakers. YMMV, of course, and the plural of "anecdote" isn't "data."

Regards,
    C

5. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    I have a ball ram mount on the front fuel tank bolts. Then a Ram arm, on the other end is the cradle for the GPS. Pics in my gallery.

:smile: