Great day

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by dynajohn, Apr 29, 2016.

1. dynajohn

dynajohn New Member

Map
    :smile-new: Between the weather and a bunch of personal stuff I have not ridden the VFR since last October. Took a 350 mile ride today with some friends and big VFR did me proud. This really is a great bike despite all the bad press when it was introduced. The new Michelin tires are a lot better than the OEM stones and that helped along with 165+ rear wheel HP.
    Thank you Don Guhl for your help removing all the nanny limiters mother Honda's lawyers saddled the bike with and thank you Honda for designing a great platform to build on.

2. nic579

nic579 New Member

I just picked up a 2010 and the horn button at the turn indicator location really does suck. Honestly though I can see the dissent if you take only a test ride you never would get to the point where you adjust to the bike and start to see the VFR's magic. To me is has been a bike that grows on me every time I get to take it out. First rides I thought the bike turned poorly. I have since learned it does turn just fine in turns and excels in areas where the supersports absolutely suck , which happens to be 90% + of normal street riding. I must admit I do have a little KTM Duke 690 for being a hooligan on when the feeling arises.

3. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

350 mile rides are very satisfying! Especially after a long break of riding.

Yes, the horn button placement gets me embarrassed at times...especially when I'm wearing bulky cold weather gloves. But that's a small annoyance I'm happy to deal with to have this grand machine.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

4. Hailwood

Hailwood New Member

Map
    Interesting factoid.
    Honda engineers did ergonomic studies on placement of the control buttons on the bar pods and determined that the traditional placement of the turn signal button below the horn button is mechanically less efficient for the human hand than when placed above the horn by a small but significant degree.
    Remember , the traditional position has remained the same since signals on bikes became common in the late 60's.
    Honda (as is their tradition) again thought outside the box.
    THATS why the turn signal switch is where it is and THATS how much attention to mechanical and engineering detail went into the VFR12.
    Just had opportunity to lift the tank (new air filter and Guhl reflash) and it is very plain that every detail on this bike was agonized over.
    I don't thInk the bean counters at Honda were consulted much and the engineers and designers were given their head on this bike.
    Perhaps that's why the darn thing was $18 k on the show room floor in 2010, yes ?
    Honda was swinging for the grandstand on this model.

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Thinking out side the box doesn't always mean better, somethings are so ingrained it makes it difficult to retrain ourselves. I find I have to look down to make sure I get right button, not good. Years ago my wife bought a Renault Alliance, and they put the horn on the of the turn signal!! Who in the hell would find that in a panic situation, really dumb.

6. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    The 7th gen has that much power? Wow!

7. nic579

nic579 New Member

The 1200 really is a stellar bike. I never owned or have ridden any other versions of the VFR so have no preconceptions of how it should have been. That V4 Big Bore Grunt is addictive the bike is stable smooth comfortable and quiet. No louder pipe for me but I did see the pitfalls of the 1-2 crippling while on some steep windy country roads in the NY Finger Lakes. I avoided some bad sections and there was no squirt of power on the uphill when good traction arrived. Averaged 43.64 mpg on the way home A and B highways.

I have gotten used to the indicator location now, but miss it on the 690 Duke as a result.

8. Hailwood

Hailwood New Member

Map
    I understand what you're saying (although, a Renault Alliance, really ??. Quite possibly one of the WORST vehicles ever built, or at least in the top 5).
    I found that the signal button position on the VFR12 is more natural to me now than the usual position on my other bikes somehow. And I've been riding 51 years.
    You're right in that new thinking isn't always better thinking, but as a unit/whole device, the 12 feels like it was well thought out.

If you haven't ridden one, try it. You'll be surprised what a scenery inhaling device this thing is.
    In a post a long time ago, I compared the VFR12 to a big bore AMG Benz, Black Shadow or a Brough SS100, and I don't think that's all that far off by how it feels on the road. 105mph feels like 85mph feels like 55mph. The thing just never feels stressed.
    I don't think it's everyone's cup of tea but Honda wasn't aiming the bike at everyone.

9. dynajohn

dynajohn New Member

Map
    Not stock it doesn't. It takes exhaust mods, removal of stock ECU limitations and tuning to get there.

10. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I agree, the Alliance was a nice looking little car, but that is about as far I would go. My former wife went out one day and bought the car while we lived in Toronto. Sheet metal on the body was paper thin, kids bent a A frame fooling around.

I think at some time in the future I would like to have a 1200, looks like a great ride.

As far as the buttons, just my old habits and old thumbs, I will get used to them.

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    TC got a hold of it I presume

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Is it safe to assume she kept the car through the divorce? My first wife wanted me to trade my Cordoba off on a shit box Mazda GLC. I did. It was a standard drive and I had to teach her to drive that. Need a new clutch after that. I insisted she take that piece of shit with her when she moved out. I kept the LeMans convertible and the Chevy PU with the 455. Instant smile on my face!

But, back to point. The 7th gen just never grew on me. I have never ridden one so have no opinion that way. The style of it just didn't appeal. Then again, I didn't need a new bike. There was and still is not much wrong with what I have.

13. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    We moved to CA in 1984, I was the project manager for the Associated Students at UCLA to build all the support venues around the Olympic Village. Allready had the VF750 air freighted down, her VT500 was hidden on truck. We towed the Alliance behind moving van and she drove the old Mercedes. Alliance went to #1 son in the Navy where he just let it die. We divorced 25 years later.

14. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You should be proud of your son....for two reasons now.

15. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I am, he is Veteran of two foreign wars!