Greeting from the Windy City!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Brandon Taylor, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Brandon Taylor

Brandon Taylor New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi guys!! New rider. Completed the MSF BRC1 Course about 3 weeks ago. Landed a 2014 VFR 800 as a starter bike. Any tips/advice you guys can lend would sure be appreciated!!!
    Thanks for having me!!!

Attached Files:

Samuel likes this.
  2. blitz jr

blitz jr New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Brandon, good to see someone else from Chicago. I'm in Elmhurst. I rode as kid, but then took a really long break and started again 5 or 6 years ago, so I considered myself a new rider. I had a CBR500R before the VFR. I think the 500 was probably a better bike to learn on. Take your time with it and get into the intermediate or advanced rider class if you can. Chicago traffic really sucks, so I did a lot of riding early on Sunday morning for practice. It's a good time to ride. Where in Chicago are you?

3. Brandon Taylor

United States
    Map
    I'm in Hyde Park on the south side.

4. blitz jr

blitz jr New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Brandon,
    As far as tips and advice, it would help to know a little more. Do you have any riding experience other than the MSF course? Are you still waiting for your certificate to get your license? What made you decide to get the VFR? Do you have a deluxe model? What about gear?

5. Brandon Taylor

United States
    Map
    First time on a motorcycle was at the MSF course. Got the license. I've been riding every chance I get (weather permitting). I do have the deluxe model. And I picked the VFR for a few reasons. I was within my budget, it was aesthetically pleasing, I wanted the cruiser/sportbike hybrid, and I wanted a bike I could grow into. As far as gear: I have the basics (boots, helmet, jacket, jeans, gloves). Looking into getting the airbag vest. It's a little costly now though...

6. scottbott

scottbott Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    hello, nice bike for a first bike, enjoy it

7. blitz jr

blitz jr New Member

United States
    Map
    I always thought the VFR would be a tough bike to learn on. (At least that's what I tell anyone who wants to try my bike.) It sounds like you are doing well. Are you riding on Lake Shore Drive? I have not, but I plan to do that this summer. I usually head away from the city to ride.

If you are interested in improving fast, check out Lee Parks Total Control Riding Clinic. It's at the MCC in Villa Park on 7/21 or 8/11. Kind of pricy, but I thought it was worth it. https://www.totalcontroltraining.net