Greetings all! - Forum Newbie

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by skidvicious, Jun 6, 2006.

1. skidvicious

skidvicious New Member

Map
    Hi folks,

just a quick g'day!

S'pose I should give a quick run down on myself and my pride and joy. I've returned to riding after about 15 years break (children imposed). After much deliberation the only sensible thing to do was get a VFR800. Lucky for me the guy who was selling the bike (2000 mod) had pampered it something awful (if it wasn't parked on the porch it was in the front room of the house)! It came with all the soft touring gear and over the last 6 months I've been gradually adding this, tweaking that etc.:tongue:

I live in Canberra, Australia where the winters are cold and the summers are hot but riding year round is always a hoot!

Hope to be able to add what I can of value and share in the experience!

Cheers,

Skid

2. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    Hi skid and welcome to VFRWorld. Sounds like a sweet ride. If you hacve some pictures you can post the in the photo gallery and even make your wond photo album. I hope you will have many days of enjoyable rides.

3. skidvicious

skidvicious New Member

Map
    Cheers Vinnie

Hi Vinnie,

thanks for the welcome - I'm 'fessing up to being a novice at using forums so if I stuff up along the way....

Yep, posted a couple of pics of my pride and joy (blue goes faster they reckon).

Took a peek at your wheels - very nice! I lusted after the 750 years ago and yours looks immaculate.

Should be nice warm riding weather out your way I expect - hope your getting the chance to get cosy with the twisties.

Catch ya,

Skid

4. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    skid,

There might be a few here who say red is faster, but I am not one to argue that point. lol. Don't woory about being new to the forums. If you have questions feel free to ask and we'll try to help ya out. Thankl you for the compliments on my bike. It's not as immacualte as it looks. Someone before me laid it down, and I have dropped it once (trying to put it on the center stand, lol) so the plastic is not perfect, but again thanks for the comps. :) Tool a look at your pics and that is just about the shade of blue that I love the most. It looks sweeeeet. The weather has been nice the last few days and hopefully this weekend the rain will hold off and I find some good roads to run on. :)

Vinny

5. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Australia is pretty much my favorite place to travel too. That's saying something since I travel for a living. My Australian travels include:
    Port Douglas
    Dantree
    Cairns
    Brisbane
    Townsville
    Darwin
    Richmond
    Sydney
    Alice Springs
    Koranda
    Cooktown
    Steve Irwin's Zoo in Queensland
    & a few other small towns I don't know the name of

Welcome to the board & enjoy that bike.

KC-10 FE out...

6. TechNomad

TechNomad New Member

Map
    Blue

G'day Skid:

Beautiful in blue, but I've got my eye on a red 2002.

Steve

7. skidvicious

skidvicious New Member

Map
    Australia - not a bad place to hang

Thanks Mate - hope you manged to get about on two wheels while in Oz -there is some great riding up around Cairns/Port Douglas. Really like your choice of color for the Viffer - kinda makes me wish I had one in a different color for each day of the week.

If your down this way again and about the Canberra area - let me know your heading this way!!

Cheers,

Skid

8. edostack

edostack New Member

United States
    I wanna get one!

I am new here. I have some questions...
    Would a 2001 Non Vtec VFR be desireable over older models? Basic soncerns would not be for racing, although better low RPM response would be preferrable. Comfort, ergonomics would be high on the list. I am assuming the 800 fuel injected ones have the advantage? I rode a 93 and was impressed. As far as wind protection, do any models offer advantages? do they all have about the same touring range? ANything that needs caution when purchasing?

Thanks in advance.

Tomato man

9. falcon186

falcon186 New Member

Map
    welcome ....hope you enjoy this site as much as I, lots of info here to learn

Cheers mate

10. skidvicious

skidvicious New Member

Map
    Hey Tomato Man,

you simply cant go past the Viffer - proud owner of a 2000 mod myself. With any of the 98-2000 bikes its fuel injection - great if you want to play with the mapping for tweaks in performance. You might even what to consider mucking around with sprocket ratios.

I've spoken with few guys who have owned older and later (pre vtec) models - all have the same great ergo's and not much difference in protection.
    The only thing that comes to mind with earlier models was a wee problem with the rectifier - would overheat/burn out and you would lose charge to the battery. Most owners seem to have overcome the problem with a few mods that help cool the rectifier. No such problem with later models.

As with any bike I would check for a service history, look for any play in the steering head bearings, rear suspension bushes etc. One thing I discovered to my cost - if the chain has what appears to be a rust coloring on the sideplate of a chain link - its likely that the chain has been overheated in that spot and the lubricant inside has been boiled off- check the chain and if buying from an owner ask them how often they check the chain adjustment.

Touring range is a hard one to peg down - depends of course if your touring or 'touring'. With my bike I can squeeze about 220 miles out of a tank but thats at the legal speed limit.

Hope my dribble makes sense and is of value.

Cheers,

Skid

11. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

I rented a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 when I was in Port Douglas. It was the only bike they had that wasn't a scooter or a harley. I had loads of fun puttering around tropical north QL.

It would be nice if VFR's came in a few new colors. I want them to make a Black VFR with all the colors reversed from mine. Wherever there's yellow, make it black & vice versa. I would buy one. In addition to colors, when they finally get around to designing a new VFR, it better have a single sided swingarm or I'm not buyin' one.

KC-10 FE out...

12. skidvicious

skidvicious New Member

Map
    Ahhh tropical FNQ - my wife comes from the Atherton Tablelands. Had a ball riding my bike - a '89 CBR1000 -way back then, up and down the ranges. The Gillies has something like 135 changes of direction in about 7 miles - bliss.

With the way Moto GP is going (800cc in 07) - makes you wonder what Mr Honda might have waiting in the wings in a couple of years? Lets see... a 800cc VFR 800 putting out nearly twice the ponies?!! Your right - no single sided swingarm no sale.

Yeah the colors are getting predictable - Now a pearl black with the color highlight of deep crimson -even gold - when the light hits it right....

Stay shiny side up Flyboy!

Cheers,

Skid (ex Navy)

13. JAMIE

JAMIE New Member

Love The Name ....god Save The Queen !!!!!

14. robm

robm New Member

G'day from another forum newbie

G'Day all,

yep the VFR certainly is a really good all rounder. After 8 years of abstaining from riding I purchased a 01 VFR in 03. More than enuf power for me and easily has more capability that I can throw at it :) luuuvely machine.

Hey Sid, I'm in Canberra so if your every up for a ride drop me a line :smile:

Cheers

RobM

15. skidvicious

skidvicious New Member

Map
    Hi Jamie,

Yeah what could I do - Dad was a Pom from Manchester so there you go!

Grrrrr baby - Yeah!!