Greetings

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Suko, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Suko

Suko New Member

Greetings,

My name is Gary and I have been an unregistered lurker on this site for some time now as I have been trying to decide between the 6th gen. vfr and the current Sprint ST. After riding both I am going with the vfr. I have been riding for four years and enjoy riding in all its forms, touring, day rides and communting. I don't have my viffer yet but here is the story…

Over the last two weeks I have been been going back and forth with a dealer on a 2003 vfr working for the lowest price possible. It looks like we will reach a deal this week but I would like some input as to what a fair price is. This specific one comes with extras (that I am aware of) including the Honda factory bags, throttlemeisters, touring windscreen, seat cowl, and a power outlet. It has 19,960 miles and has a new battery and newer rear tire and the only previous owner (since 3 miles) says that he did not take it in for the valve check. It is getting colder her in Wisconsin and there are deals to be had so after checking it out 2 weeks ago I offered $4300, dealer wanted $4625. Monday the dealer called to say they could do $4500. I am going to the dealer tomorrow and am planning on buying it for $4500. Does this sound like a fair price? Thanks for your help, I look forward to using this set as a continued resource that I hope to contribute to myself.

Cheers

2. TimRav

TimRav New Member

Welcome to the forum, Gary!

An '03 VFR w/OEM bags and 20k on the clock for $4500 sounds OK to me, as long as it's in great condition. $4500 OTD sounds better.

-The seat cowl comes with the bike standard, so that's not an add-on.
    -Check the battery to see if it's a Yuasa. That's what the OEM was and what most people buy for replacements.
    -Make sure any and all recalls have been performed prior to buying it or picking it up. If the shop you're dealing with is a Honda dealer they should be able to tell whether those recalls have been performed yet or not just by looking up the VIN.

Also, I'd ask if they can swing you a deal on a valve check either now or over the winter. Honestly, some people skip them entirely as most valves are within spec, but it's nice to have it done for peace of mind.

I know I'm biased, but I think you're making the right choice between the two bikes. I've heard fit and finish is much better on the Honda, plus they're less likely to have problems. Good luck with your deal!

3. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    The deal sounds good to me. Especially the factory bags.
    Good luck and welcome to the forum.

4. Suko

Suko New Member

Made the deal today, I pick it up Saturday!

5. Suko

Suko New Member

Thanks! It is getting chilli, but I really enjoy fall riding, just have to watch out for those deer!

Ride safe.

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    ++++++++1

I am with Tim, $4500 is not bad but if you can get anything out of the stealership is worth to try:rolleyes::wink::biggrin: You have to play them, Not many peoples buying at this time.