Guhl Reflash for the 6th gen buyers thread

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by goinphaster, Nov 27, 2016.

1. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

Guhl Reflash for the 6th gen buyers thread- Update!!

I have searched a few different ways and I cannot find anything in the 6th gen forums about any sort of talk on Don Guhl doing a reflash on 6th gen VFR's. I did find it on other sites and a simple "VFR800 Guhl" google search will take you right to our sister forum that does talk about it. The thread started in 2014 and fizzled from there. Seems our sisters couldn't get it done- regardless what magical wizardry Don is able to do on a VFR1200. I think we here at VFRW can make it happen, I have seen us come together many times for the common theme of making our rides more enjoyable.

I will be transparent first: I'm not getting anything from this other than getting my bike to operate to its full potential in regards to smooth operation at all speeds. I won't be getting money (finders fee's, etc), and I won't be handling money, all of that will go through Don and his company. The last group buy I made for this forum I didn't make money- everyone was charged what it cost me to make it happen, and I delivered. I'm just here to organize the group to show Don there is a market for him to invest the energy and money to the work and research for a final product. Here is more transparency:

Cons:
    - It's about +$380.00 based on my research, but it may be higher.
    - There is no guarantee he can do "everything" to the 6th gen like he has done to the VFR1200.
    - From what I can tell, he can only do 2006 and above, because 02-05 have different ECU's. I don't know if he has tried those years yet.
    - He needs a 2006-2013 VFR800 for dyno testing at his shop in Ephrata, PA 17522.
    - Once he gets the dyno testing done, there is no guarantee on what the timeline will be for Don to be in "production of final products".
    - We are going to need ten plus people who WILL buy Don's reflash services. UPDATE: HE DOESN'T NEED TEN, HE NEEDS A BIKE TO TEST!!!!

Pro's:
    - Don's reflashes do not require cutting.
    - Not only can he do a standard reflash, but he can incorporate power commander maps for any mods you have made (flapper delete, motad headers, superchargers, etc)
    - What he can do to the ignition map alone outweighs the benefits of using a power commander- which cannot adjust the ignition.
    - He is a one day turn around from the time he receives your ECU, with overnight return shipping.
    - I can't find an unhappy customer in my researching of Don and his business.

I know the Con's have some risk associated to them, but I have evaluated the risk and I think it is low, and worth my energy to try and get Don to show there is low risk in devoting resources to the 6th Gen.

I AM devoting cash as an actual buyer- even if it takes 12 month's to get our goal of ten people. If I could afford to ship my bike to Don and back, I would lead that hurdle too, but I can't. I will fess up some money to who ever loans their bike to Don for dyno testing depending on how motivated the donor owner makes it happen.

To make this work we need one member to fess up their bike for his use on his dyno, and we need 9 or more people who WILL deliver on a promise to use Don's services upon his opening of production.

This thread is for people to say they WILL buy a reflash from Don for their 6th Gen 2006-2013 VFR800; all other discussions, to include "I'm interested" posts, please see the "6th Gen Guhl reflash discussion" thread.

Very Respectfully,

Anthony

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  2. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

I am committed to buying Don Guhls reflash services.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I'm interested but have to say I emailed Guhl a while back regarding the 6 Gen but never heard back from him so I just forgot about it. Unfortunately I wouldn't be willing to ship my 6 Gen to him as it's my commuter, so if more people join in hopefully someone closer to Guhl can and would be willing to loan them their bike. Put me down for now.

4. northwood

northwood New Member

United States
    Map
    I am willing to join this.

5. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

I'm still up for donor bike...depending on how long it will be needed and the time frame. When you hear from him about that, let me know.

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I'd be game for sure. What percentage increase in HP and torque do you estimate? I know it has not been done yet but what did he get out of the 1200's percentage wise?

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Seems like a really cool tuning alternative. Good luck with the endeavor. You should make a thread on VFRdiscussion as well (just be sure to get admin approval first), as my Rapid Bike group buy didn't do as well on VFRworld as it did on VFRDiscussion. Also a link to your "6th Gen Guhl reflash discussion" thread greatly would help.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/52266-6th-Gen-Guhl-reflash-discussion

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    If Don is not interested in this project perhaps Steve Sefick of Shoodaben Engineering might be. I know the flash work he has done on Concous 14's has been a huge success in the Kawai community. I wrote him to see if he was interested.

9. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

Evening fellow 6th Gen Riders. I have good news! Don doesn't need 10 buyers in line to do the reflash leg work for the sixth Gen. He needs a single donor bike for about a week to get the Dyno testing completed.

I was able to have a really good discussion today with Don that I will put most of in the "6th Gen Guhl reflash discussion" thread.

For the sake of actually getting this going I have been in contact with OH!_Anne.Marie, she is still willing to offer her bike for the dyno testing. There are a couple of hurdles. First is Don won't be free to break away from existing projects until March, possibly April. Second is OH!_Anne.Marie lives 18+ hours away and has a few logistical problems to overcome. I am willing to help overcome those problems, but can't do it all myself.

Anyone willing to help out our forum regular get her bike to Don and back?

10. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Awesome idea to ask for ideas! :)

Riding it there and back home when he is finished will be okay with me given weather is cooperative (no ice or snow).

What would be the best way to get home after taking it to him and to get back to pick it up? Any ideas?

Or...we get a donor to loan a moto closer to him...

Any takers?

11. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

What? No one wants to help out Ann.marie?? If she has to go it alone I say she gets promoted from Uber Guru to "Most Awesomest Guru". Or ""Major General of the 6th Gen Militia". Maybe the first one, it's easier to type.