hand cramps

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Pharoh, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Pharoh

Pharoh New Member

Map
    I was wondering if anyone has any solutions for hand cramps. I mostly do short rides and notice my hand gets tired after riding longer than I'm use too. I just bought a cramp buster but I'm not sure how much that will help. Do I just need to get use to riding longer or maybe purchase some sort of hand muscle grips to strengthen my hands? Any suggestions???:confused:

2. skidvicious

skidvicious New Member

Map
    Hey Pharoh,

my guess on the hand cramps is that your gripping the bars too tight without realizing it. If you can reach the bars comfortably with a bend at the elbow, try gripping the tank with your thighs to help hold yourself in position.

Your likely to feel that your lower back is also helping. Relax.

Using the same technique I can maintain good contact witht the bars without much weight on my hands at all. While this is good for the straights, the twisties need a bit more firmer grip for countersteeing but again, thighs and lower back help.

Give it a try - hope it helps!

Cheers!

3. masonv45

masonv45 New Member

I agree, you're holding on too tight.

What really got me to loosen up was reading this story (paraphrased):

A racer was running around the track and had three laps left when his left clipon broke clean off. So what did he do? He finished the race and only lost 3 places.

Kind of difficult to grip the handlebar hard when it's not fastened to the bike...

If you feel like you're getting tense, try "flapping" your elbows to loosen up. It's hard to be tense and flap your elbows at the same time. You always want to be riding smooth/loose and put as few control inputs into the bike as necessary.

4. Pharoh

Pharoh New Member

Map
    Thanks for the advice

5. heymike

heymike New Member

United States
    Map
    Pharoh, do you ride with a couple of fingers on the clutch and brake levers? I find that helps alot, plus it makes your reaction time quicker..

6. Pharoh

Pharoh New Member

Map
    I cover the levers if I'm in heavy stop and go traffic. I plan on trying everyones suggestion. Thanks for the feedback.

7. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    Last tip that might help... riding sore sux :frown:

put the balls of your feet on the pegs when you aren't braking shigfting. You will be better able to use your toes/legs squeezing fram&tank/abs to hold your upper body weight vice just your wrists.

Lastly, do your glove fit well....like a glove. If they're too big, too small or too tight on the wrist they might be a part of the puzzle.

8. Pharoh

Pharoh New Member

Map
    Thanks Nozzle

I have been working on improving my riding position on the bike. I read your same suggestion in a book. Good advice

9. esmudge

esmudge Guest

When I first purchased my VFR I had serious cramps after the first ten miles. Took me awhile to relax to the new riding position. I was still cramping more than I wanted so I actually changed the handlebars to the Heli-bars. The change in the bars was the difference in riding twenty miles to a few hundred at a time. Occasionally I still get the tingles at around twenty miles but that is because I am not as relaxed as I should be and it wears off and then I am good for the rest of the day.
    I am not an experienced mechanic and I did not have any real trouble changing out the handle bars. The Heli-bars move the grip back and up abount an inch and a half. Really made a difference for me.

10. Lighter

Lighter New Member

I have the same problem with the hurting hands, I blamed my carpel tunnel syndrom, then later had the surgery and that helped the dirt bike ridding arm pump but not street. I installed a cruise control and use it on the hiway so I can rest one arm at a time that seems to help me. It also tells me I am probally holding on too tight also! If I slide all the way forward on the seat I can get a more upright position for a littler while till that position causes other problems. I have had thought about getting the heli bars also, but have just been living with it.

Ride when you can, Lighter

11. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    Iron Mind

I realize this is an old thread, but there are only two way to cure arm pump.
    1) ride every single day no matter what
    2) invest in some hand strength grippers. www.ironmind.com

12. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    As several here have suggested the Heli Bars are a great way to go (I have them also).

I would also suggest that you double check to see if your clutch and brake levers are positioned too low.
    This can cause some unwanted pressure in the tunnel carpal area. If so, raise them up to where you have comfortable straight wrists.

Let us know if this helps.

13. benjammer

benjammer New Member

Pharoh, I feel your pain, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I purchased the Gen Mar Risers and that helped me out allot. Also as stated above, I had to relax.

14. FRE

FRE New Member

United States
    Map
    You might want to have larger grips installed. I have larger grips and it does make it easier on my hands, although I never had trouble with cramping.

15. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, relax thy grip, helps to grab the tank with your thighs and suck it up in the gut area while you're at it. then also go find a tennis ball and start squeezing the day lights out of it 3-4 times a day say 50 reps each time 3 times a day.

16. criplgamer

criplgamer New Member

Pazzo shorty racing levers. Eliminated hand cramps for me. I have short fat hands and i love the levers. I got em online for 160 bux. amazon.com. Free shipping.

17. killerkingdon

killerkingdon New Member

United States
    Map
    Yet another awesome thread, found in the basement...Great info. on the hands guys, keep up the good work...

18. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

I don't ride without a cramp buster. not even around the block. another little bit that seems to help is bigger grips. My honda heated grips are larger in diameter and seem to provide decent comfort while riding, maybe it might for you too. I am even considering installing a audiovox cruise control to help with those long rides. I installed one on my truck and have yet to have problems so I have no reservations installing it on my bike.

19. OKCVFR

OKCVFR New Member

Less grip and more comfortable replacement grip can help and/or gloves with gel padding in palm areas would help considerably.

20. grayflare

grayflare New Member

Your problem may be similar to mine, and the cure for me has been to use your back muscles and legs to hold up your upper body instead of resting on your hands. It takes the pressure off your wrists and immediately fixed my numbing sensations and cramps on longer rides. When I notice this happening now I realise that I have went back to my old ways. As soon as I raise my upper body with my back and legs I can immediately start getting relief.