Happy Birthday and Happy Veteran's Day!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Echo3Niner, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    A legacy is born
    Every year, I take the 10th of November off to celebrate my birthday (I am 237 years old this year!) and the 11th of November, as Veteran’s Day. This year, they are on Saturday and Sunday, so I don’t have to, but they are no less special.

A committee of the Continental Congress met at Tun Tavern Philadelphia to draft a resolution calling for two battalions of Marines able to fight for independence at sea and on shore.

The resolution was approved on November 10, 1775, officially forming the Continental Marines.

Each year, the Marine Corps marks November 10th with a celebration of the brave spirit which compelled these men (and women) and the hundreds of thousands since, to defend our country as United States Marines.

Below is a long email I send out to my friends who have served; read it if you would like, do not if you don’t wish, but thank you for your support, all the same.

Happy 237th Birthday (November 10th, 1775), to all Hard-Charging Devil Dogs! Semper Fidelis, may you all stay safe and sound. Remember them in your prayers, if you do so. There is a video at the link below; take 12 minutes out of your day and watch it, you’ll be all the richer for it.

2012 Marine Corps Birthday Ball

Happy Veteran’s Day, November 11, to all Vets!

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful, the Marine Corps Motto).

“The title cannot be inherited, nor can it be purchased at any price. It cannot be rented or lent. It can only be earned, with our blood, sweat and lives. You own it forever; United States Marine.”

"Freedom has a special meaning for those of us who have fought for it, that the protected shall never know."

"I was that which others did not want to be, went where others feared to go, did what others failed to do, and accepted the thought of eternal loneliness should I fail. I asked nothing from those who gave nothing and humbly accepted the veneration or aversion of those who knew nothing of what they spoke. I have seen the face of terror, felt the stinging cold of fear, and enjoyed the sweet taste of a moments love. Most of all however, I have lived times that others would say were best forgotten, yet I can say something those others can not, I am proud of what I was, and continue to be… A United States Marine."
    “The Eagle, Globe and Anchor are tattooed on our soul.”

The American Fighting (Wo)Man

It is the American Fighting Man, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a free trial.
    It is the American Fighting Man, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of press.
    It is the American Fighting Man, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
    It is the American Fighting Man, not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom to demonstrate.
    It is the American Fighting Man, not the church, who has given us our precious Freedom of worship.
    It is the American Fighting Man, who consented to serve, who gives the objector, the freedom to conscientiously object.
    It is the American Fighting Man, who defends and salutes the flag, whose dead body is draped by the flag in death, which gives us the freedom to spit on the flag, disrespect the flag, and burn the flag in protest.

Who is this American Fighting (Wo)Man?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in the desert sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.
    He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery when men’s lives hang in the balance.
    She is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years.
    He is the POW who went away one person and came back another - or hasn't come back AT ALL.
    He is the San Diego or Parris Island Drill Instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.
    He is the parade riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.
    He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.
    He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.
    He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come once more.
    He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being, a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.
    He is a soldier, a savior, a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony to and on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say "Thank You." That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been or were awarded.

--Happy birthday Jarheads, and happy Veteran's day my friends. And may all those serving now, come home safely. Goodnight Chesty, wherever you are.

Diving Pete and Bubba Utah like this.
  2. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines:
    Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies,
    the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any
    group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United
    States Marine Corps!"

Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a
    difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."

Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Has it been 237 years, seems like yester.....

Happy Birthday & Thank You to anyone who has served or is
    currently serving in The Armed Forces.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Thanks for the reminder
    Once a Marine always a Marine
    I am very proud uncle of two Captain and my niece will be graduate as first Lt in two months :usa2::usa2:
    Thanks all the men and women that served our country

Bubba Utah likes this.
  4. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    239 years, so I thought I'd give a little history...

The official and unofficial history of the Corps

On 5 November 1775, Samuel Nicholas was commissioned a "Captain of Marines" by the Second Continental Congress, which was the first commission issued in the Continental Naval Service. His commission was confirmed in writing on 28 November, 18 days after the Continental Congress resolved on 10 November 1775, that:

"That two battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one Colonel, two lieutenant-colonels, two majors and other officers, as usual in other regiments; that they consist of an equal number of privates as with other battalions, that particular care be taken that no persons be appointed to offices, or enlisted into said battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve for and during the present war with Great Britain and the Colonies; unless dismissed by Congress; that they be distinguished by the names of the First and Second Battalions of Marines."

Captain Nicholas no sooner received official confirmation of his appointment to office than he established recruiting headquarters at Tun Tavern, Philadelphia.

Their mission was multi-purpose, but their most important duty was to serve as on-board security forces, protecting the Captain of a ship and his officers. During naval engagements Marine sharpshooters were stationed in the fighting tops of the ships' masts, and were supposed to shoot the opponent's officers, naval gunners, and helmsmen. The Marines were used to conduct amphibious landings and raids during the American Revolution.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that’s the official history of my Corps. Here’s the unofficial (but likely more realistic) history:

As the Colonies which would become the United States of America attempted to establish a naval force capable of fighting the British, one thing became apparent; they couldn’t keep their officers alive long enough to win the war. At least not with only sailors onboard who couldn’t shoot straight apparently.

They also were not able to conduct raids on the enemy from sea to shore, at least not with those sailors.

The British were enlisting pirates (called Privateers), and they were good at these things. What the Colonies needed, were “pirates” of their own, you know, like Vikings.

Solution? Marines.

So, Capt. Nicholas has to recruit some Colonial “pirates or Vikings”, hrmmm, where would you do that? Where else, A BAR!

So, the first of these scurvy dogs shows up, he wasn’t gonna be no officer; this guy was so salty he scrapped salt off his sleeves to season his meal. This guy can shoot wings off a fly at 100 yards, and is so quiet, you can hear a rat pissing on cotton. He also happens to be a master artillery gunner; so, he’s the first Master Gunnery Sergeant of the Corps. After he signs up, Capt. Nicholas asks him to wait outside.

The next fellow shows up, he’s younger, educated and not near as scurvy, he might make a good Lt., so Capt. Nicholas signs him up, and asks him to go wait outside.

The kids sits down next to the Master Guns, who turns to the kid and says, “Son, let me tell you what it was like in the Old Corps…”

The rest as they say, was history.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  5. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    And the ARMY goes Rolling Along...
    [​IMG]

Ride Red White & Blue!

Bubba Utah likes this.
  6. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
  7. fredsncoma

fredsncoma New Member

United States
    Happy Veteran's Day to all you Vets out there. Thank you for your service.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  8. f3racer

f3racer New Member

Happy vets day.I come from a long line of marines (my last name is Pendleton) and this passed sept was my 18th year in the army and my 13th year in the 3rd Infantry Division.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  9. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Thanks all the Vets for your services and Sacrifice :usa2:

Bubba Utah likes this.
  10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Happy VETERANS day....to all who has and still serving this Country. .....always come up to any service man or woman and shake there hands with a thank you....

Bubba Utah likes this.
  11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    It was 100 years ago that hostilities began in what was o be the war to end all wars. Sadly, this was not to be the case. Armistice was signed four years later and the world sighed a breath of relief amid the tears of sorrow for those who died or perished in battle.

Early in the hostilities, the landscape of the once beautiful fields of France and Belgium became muddy brown wasteland inhabited only by rats and our courageous Canadian and allied defenders. I suspect many there, crouched down in those horrid wet and muddy trenches for days, weeks, and months on end wondered why they were trying to capture such devastation? What would live here now?

The spring of 1915, as farmers began to prepare their land close to the front lines, preparing to sew grain in hopes of better days, they discovered the common field or corn poppy blooming in all its red glory. A ray of brightness amongst the muddy brown wasteland around. A Canadian soldier named John McRae penned a poem sitting amongst these flowers after the death of a friend at that time. In Flander’s Fields became arguably the most famous words written in relation to the sacrifices made during that conflict.

Mona Belle Michael (the Poppy Lady), an American woman working two days before the armistice was signed, at the YMCA Overseas War Secretaries HQ in New York happened across a copy of this poem. Though she had seen this poem before, this time it brought on new meaning. Especially the last verse. It was at that moment she made a personal pledge to keep the faith and always wear a red poppy of Flanders Fields as a sign of remembrance.

That tradition continues here in Canada and other countries around the world. We should not forget this. To wear a poppy in memory of those who sacrificed ultimately for our way of life at home may be the thread that keeps us proud, thankful and free. To forget, would to allow tyranny to flourish. Would threaten our hard fought for freedoms enjoyed the remainder of the year without thought.

Today I wear a nice shirt with French cuffs. Why? So I can wear the cuff links once belonging to my father. I look at photos of the Woman’s Tri Service Memorial in Winnipeg, conceived, and with assistance, raised by my mother. Both were veterans of the Second World War. Both long gone now sorrowfully missed but not forgotten and always loved.

Thanks to people like them, we have the right to worship, complain, love, cry, and live our lives in comfort and freedom. It would be sad if the sacrifices made by our great people in our Armed forces, and that of our allies, should be forgotten. So I take this moment to share with you these words. To reflect in my own way.

To Remember.

My sincere thanks to all members of the Canadian Military and our allies around the world. You all make me so proud.

Lest We Forget.

Allyance and Bubba Utah like this.
  12. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Belated Happy Veteran's Day. Thank you all for your service and sacrifices.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  13. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    242 years old, and STILL don't look a year over 60!

14. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Happy Veterans Day to those in service and to those that have served. Your sacrifices past and present do not go unappreciated! If you are in the metro Salt Lake City area tomorrow or Saturday let me know. My restaurant is giving a free meal to any service personnel past or present. flemingssaltlake@Hotmail.com. Please note that this is a personal email and not a company email. God Bless

Diving Pete likes this.
  15. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Big Thanks to those who are serving and have served - Happy Veteran's Day!!!

Bubba Utah likes this.