Have not ridden in 20 years 42 yrs old 5.7"

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by salvfr, Aug 20, 2006.

1. salvfr

salvfr New Member

I sold my last motorcyle in 1986, it was a 1983 nighthawk 650. Most guys my age are riding Harleys, I guess I'm not the cruiser type and definitely do not appreciate the idea of a large v-twin with a single crank pin!! I was looking at buy a late model VFR and I am worried about the ergonomics with my 5-7" frame. I've sat on a VFR and thought if I installed a lowering link and maybe small handle bar risers I could make the bike fit me better. Can anyone tell me how mods would affect handling on the VFR?

An out of town friend of mine says he has the perfect VFR for me. He menitioned it has a ohlin's pre load adjustable shock and racetech springs installed. I havent had a chance to see the bike yet but I'm concerned these mods may actually make raise the seat height. Anyone know if I could still lower this bike?

2. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I don't think the fork mods would raise the seat but the rear shock may. You could always return to a stock rear shock as they are cheap on e-bay, like $20 - $40 plus shipping. The guys will fall over themselves bidding on your Ohlins.:tongue:
    Aftermarket seats like the Corbin usually drop the set height about an inch as well.

The reach to the bars should be resolved with some Heli bars or Genmar risers. Probably best if you could throw a leg over one for a few hours to see what you think. I'm 6ft and I find it a good fit but I wouldn't complain if the bars were an inch closer like a CBR 600.

If you can get the fit sorted out you will be happy with the ride experience! As fast as anyone needs for the street and the sweetest exhaust note on two wheels. I even like it better than a Ducati.:biggrin:

Ciao:lever:

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    hell, if you want to get rid of that shock, I can probably help you out...:tongue:

4. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I told ya!

All you have to do is whisper OOOHHHHHHLLLIIIINNNZZZZ....and wham, it's like catnip to a vifferhead!

That is why I put an Ohlins box in my add for the RC51 shock, it gets attention eh.

5. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Hey salvfr, I just found this post that may help you,

http://vfrworld.com/forums/modifications/1207-lowering-link-vfr800.html

Disregard if you have already seen it.

By the way, a lowered bike will turn slower than one that is at stock height so expect reduced ground clearance issues and pokey handling. It still may be adequate but just not optimal.

6. BucksVFR

BucksVFR New Member

Map
    salvfr - I have the same concerns as I'm the same height...did you get the bike and how did it fit? It's nice to know you can modify the height for us veritcally challenged riders.

7. salvfr

salvfr New Member

No I didnt get the bike, it turns out the bike was already sold by the time my friend told me about it. I live in central california and I am looking for a used VFR but so far I havent found one. After I originally posted I did some checking and my old honda nighthawk seat height was only a half inch lower than the VFR. Since I dont remember the nighthawks seat was ever a problem I'm thinking the ergonomic concerns I was having probably more related to the reach to the handle bars than the seat height alone.
    BucksVFR have you made any mods concerning lowering the bike and handlebar placement? Does the seat height affect your confidence in low speed manuvering?

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    you just didn't ask the right person. I happen to have a lead on a used 01 VFR right now. I even have pics of it. The guy I went riding with on the Harley two weeks ago (Todd) is looking at it, too. He has been thinking about getting a VFR since going riding with me. If you want, I can send the pics to you...

9. BucksVFR

BucksVFR New Member

Map
    I didn't buy the bike yet but I talked to the shop that I'm going to buy from concerning the mods and they're more than happy to help. Sorry to hear about the bike being sold, I'm sure you'll find another quickly. I'm originally from San Diego and my friends back there are always telling me of nice bikes for sale...look south and you might find one.

10. Rsal86

Rsal86 New Member

Seat time. Seat Time and more seat time plus exercise a good throttle control habit then you'll forget about the seat height and weight.:cool:

I'm 5'4" and have an 06 white VFR - all stock (so far) and no plans of dropping the height maybe a riser and a Sergeant Seat (on the way). I'm actually 5'5" on good days :eek:. I've taken my wife on long rides already through the stop and go traffic , canyons, and lane splitting in Southern California with no problem whatsoever.

Of course, I always remind my wife to avoid unnecessary movement(s) when we're on a dead stop to avoid weight shifting.