Headlamp Upgrade

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by navig8r01, Feb 27, 2004.

1. navig8r01

navig8r01 New Member

Map
    I want to install PIAA headlamps rated at 60/55w, and i know that Honda bulbs are rated 45/45w. I know there is an adaptor plate to fit the H4 bulb into the Honda socket.
    ???Could this potentially lead to a Voltage regulator >:( problem, and/or is the wiring substantial enough to handle the increased wattage ???.

2. jpete24

jpete24 New Member

I use to have a 1983 Suzuki that kept on blowing out voltage regulators because of faulty wiring (prolly was my own fault) But I know that voltage regulators are sometimes very sensitive, but it just depends on what happens...personally I wouldn't screw with the electrical system. (but thats coming from someone who had to replace 3 voltage regulators :p)

3. Scott_Lilliott

Scott_Lilliott New Member

United States
    Map
    Changing to 60/55 H4's will not do any damage or tax the system - an e-vest runs 44 watts+. I swapped mine out years ago, no problem, also running an e-vest. The biggest killer of VFR regs is a dying or dead battery. Also FWIW, early 80's Suzuki's were notorious for burning out regs and alternators.
    Scott

4. jpete24

jpete24 New Member

your telling me....

5. Guest

Guest Guest

:eek: What Model PIAA Headlamps 60/55w did you use, and where did you get all of the parts from? I would love to do somthing about the headlight on my VFR.

6. PPE

PPE New Member

I have heard both sides of the coin...I too wonder what the truth is ???

One side claims increased electrical load strains the regulator, resulting in increased failures.....the other claims a weak battery is the culprit (that seems possible as it would allways be working extra hard to keep the battery voltage up )

Im contemplating gettin a maintenence free style quality battery and then do the computer cooling fan mod before any additional electric demands....any comments ???

I just sure as hell dont wanna push a electrical failed viffer through nomans land for any distance !!! LOL ;)

7. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    I put 55/60 watt bulbs in a few months ago. I was looking through a Clymer manual, in Australia the recommended bulb is 45 watts, every other country is 55/60.
    Bought the new bulbs from a auto spares shop, cost me AUD$20.00 for 2, the Honda bulbs are AUD$38.00 each!!

They have made a big difference to night riding, much brighter & better distance.

Apparently there are people on the U.K. forum who have put 100 watt bulbs in with no problems, I don't know if they had to upgrade the electrical system to cope.

8. PPE

PPE New Member

Maybe thats the straw that breaks the camels back......55/60 maybe OK. And, the 100 just tax the reg too much and heat fail it ?!?!.......let us know how it works for ya......what year is your bike, how many miles on the reg now ? Have you done the cooling fan mod yet ??