Headlamps

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Guest, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Anyone know the OEM part number for replacement headlamp bulbs for 98 VFR. Local honda dealer wants almost 38.OO dollars for one light. H4 lights go for about 8.00. On the H4 light the 3 small "fins" on the collar of the light are too small. Not same size as stock.
    any info would be great

thxs

2. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

There are several options.

1. pay the ridiculous Honda price... NOT!!

2. Buy the bulbs at Pep Boys or where ever for $8, bend the tabs with pliers and insert them in the socket. What I have been doing for several years and 90K miles with no problems.

3. Buy the little adapter rings that have tabs to match the socket on the bike and then accept the Pepboys bulbs. Why bother when bending the tabs works fine?

I just bend the two lower tabs back 90 degrees so that none of the tab sticks out past the outside diameter of the collar around the bulb. If you want a snug fit, bend the tabs back about 85 degrees so they just barely stick out. As you push the bulb in, the tab will act like a spring and push against the socket to keep everything from bouncing around.

I would recommend getting the 55/65 watt bulb to replace the OEM wattages. They are significantly brighter but not so hot that you risk melting any part of the light housing as some people have reported with the 100 watt bulbs.

Adios,

3. Guest

Guest Guest

;)

Thanks for the info. It will be something I will do. A small store ( The Light bulb shop) that carries nothing but hard to find light bulbs. The guy who works there believes he could get the OEM bulbs for less than have the price. If he had the part number. Fellow motorcycle rider was trying to help me out. Big thumbs up for that. If ever in Austin Tx and need a bulb try the small shop. The small store had a great deal of light bulbs for motorcycles and cheap! As far as (Woods Honda of Austin) avoid at all cost!!

Thanks again Howdy

4. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Anthony,

Do you live in Austin? I was just over there all weekend for New Years. We rode Friday and Saturday. Got in about 850 miles for the weekend.

Here is another website you might be interested in:

Two Wheeled Texans
    http://twtex.com/

It is a forum similar to this one but for Texas riders.

Adios,

5. vfracer

vfracer New Member

Re: Headl

Funny ...I just replaced both my lights... high beams went out at the same time?....
    I also did not want to replace with the big $$$ Honda
    You can bend the tabs but I also added a thin piece of wire.
    Just take an old hanger cut a piece then bend bend tabs over works Perfect.!

Jersey Steve

Ride fast but ...ride safe.

6. AT

AT New Member

yeah I do live in austin. Rode about 150 miles on sunday with a group of friends. Cold front blew in @ 4pm made it a little cold. And for me getting below 50 is cold. Great ride regardless rode to San Marcos and Dripping Springs.

Got the new bulbs on the bike and its ready to go. And and took the advice and opted for the higher watt bulb. Thx again

7. AT

AT New Member

Hey tourmeister thanks for the link to the two wheeled texans. :)

8. AT

AT New Member

:)

thanks Jersey Steve for the tip as well.
    New to the web site and thank you both for all the information.

9. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

Yeah I got hit by some of the nasty weather on my way home. The last hour from College Station over to Huntsville I got rained on pretty good. Temps dropped from upper 70's all the way down into the mid 50's real fast!! :eek: Thank goodness I had my rain suit with me!

By the way, we are doing a maintenance day here in Huntsville on the 24th of Jan. Tire changing, electrical trouble shooting, chain changing, brake pad replacement and bleeding, pretty much everything except engine internals ;) You are welcome to join us. Hit the TWT site and check the upcoming events section for details.

Adios,

10. AT

AT New Member

;D
    Hey that sounds like a good deal. Would give me a chance to learn more about the VFR. Will check the schedule coming up. Would like to make it out that way.