Headlight Beam (Low)

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Guest, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

After returning from a delightful 8 day trip down to N.C. and back (to MA), I have to say the worst thing about this bike is the low beam headlight pattern. Fine (not great) if your riding straight up, but lean a right turn following a windy road and *poof* - any visibility for what's ahead is gone. The beam tilts with the bike (duh), and because it's a flat beam, it just goes down with no forward view. The left turn is a little, but not much, better. Has anyone come up with an improved auxiliary lighting for this symptom ? TIA.

2. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

I have seen a few other VFR 800's with the auxillary PIAA lights mounted at the mirrors. They fabbed a small bracket from aluminum that uses the two mirror mounting bolts to secure them. The lights hang off the bracket below the mirrors. I had the unfortunate pleasure of riding in front of one of these guys heading up to Deals Gap on Hwy 28 in the dark. We all got caught out without our clear visors after dark so we were all running with brights on. I thought he was gonna burn out my retinas. Finally had to wave him by. His lights were so bright I was using them to see for myself. The first time I rode the Cherohala Skyway and US 129 from Robbinsville up to the Crossroads of Time was about 12:30 at night in pitch black. Even on high beams, when you are running those really tight curves you can't see squat off to the sides. I have thought about adding the extra lights to my bike but just haven't gotten around to throwing the money at it ;-)