Headlight Modulators

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by SCraig, Oct 15, 2008.

1. SCraig

SCraig New Member

No, this is absolutely NOT an "I like headlight modulators because ..." or "I hate headlight modulators because ..." thread. Please, please, please do NOT turn it into another one. There are plenty of them around to look at.

I got the latest issue of American Motorcyclist yesterday. This is the AMA's publication for those unfamiliar with it. There was a short article in it about headlight modulators and I thought I'd pass along the gist of what it said for what it's worth.

There were two points in the article, actually it was really just a few paragraphs and not a full-blown article. First was that a police force (I think it was in Topeka, KS) has started using headlight modulators on their bikes. The logic being that they make them more visible. Keep in mind that these are police motorcycles and can get away with having flashing lights.

The second thing of interest that was stated was that even though headlight modulators are legal in all states there are some local jurisdictions that are issuing tickets to people using them. They did not state what or where those jurisdictions are, but the fact remains that people are being ticketed for using headlight modulators. True, if you live there you can probably go to court and get it dismissed. If you do not live there and just happen to be passing through your choices are to either pay the ticket (regardless of whether you feel you were within the law), or come back on your court date and argue the legality of them.

If you have something to say about these two topics please feel free to comment, but once again please do NOT turn this into yet another Pro / Anti headlight modulators thread.

Moderators: If this thread starts to go that way please lock it!

2. Britt

Britt New Member

When someone is issued a ticket for using a headlight modulator, do we know what violation is typically stated on it? Is it impersonating a police vehicle? Some sort of illegally flashing lighting equipment?

I have been considering one but I'm not sure if I want the hassle if there is a chance of getting pulled over for it.

3. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

what is a headlight modulator???? sounds like a flasher for the headlights..........??

Bob

4. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    I wouldn't mind having one if I knew the po po would not hassle me. I typically ride with the high beams on, unless I'm riding in a group.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  5. SCraig

SCraig New Member

I have no idea what the violation would specifically be. The article didn't say. all of the advertisements I've seen for them state that they are legal in all 50 states, but this article leads me to believe that some smaller jurisdictions (i.e. townships or cities) have taken it upon themselves to decide that they are illegal. Whether that could eve be upheld in court I don't know, however I don't know if a local jurisdiction can override a state law. Maybe they can, maybe not.

Here's a thought for you though: You are right in the middle of a 4-Corners trip and on a schedule (or on vacation or whatever and have a schedule). You get stopped in a little podunk town and a local sheriff writes you a ticket for having a headlight modulator with a court date 2 weeks in ahead. Do you pay the ticket even though you think it can be overthrown in court? Do you scrap your trip and hang around for 2 weeks to go to court? Do you go home / finish your trip and come back? Regardless of whether you are right or wrong, regardless of whether it gets thrown out of court, regardless of what you do you are out some cash for something you thought was legal.

That's basically what they are. They continually flash the headlight high beams on and off to make the bike more visible from the front. They normally have a means to disable them, like by turning the high beam switch on, and they normally disable themselves at night.

They are also the source of a lot of controversy on forums. Many people swear by them, many swear at them. Please everyone, don't get this topic turned into another one of those.

6. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Dat's it boss! Click me, Click me

Some juristrictions could just be looking for cash, and/or maybe the ambient sensor is not working to shut off the modulating in low-light conditions....or maybe Michael Jackson is really an alien?

I see the purpose, but I have had one behind me before, and I personally found it a little annoying. Not that it drove me insane though. People could think the same of me, because I ride with my brights on during all daylight hours...I never get flashed though...wouldn't mind it if it was this kinda flashing though... :stripper:

7. Britt

Britt New Member

I believe the reason a modulator is supposed to be legal is because it smoothly modulates the light from dim to bright to dim. It does not flash it on and off - which would be illegal, and would also burn through bulbs quickly.

I also use my hi beams all day and it seems to be pretty effective if the person actually looks in my direction. Yesterday I saw a lady coming towards me with her hand up blocking my headlights. I guess it's pretty bright but at least she saw me, and that's the goal!

8. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

thanks folks. interesting idea. I used to ride with my high beams on all the time, but have not with this bike. maybe I ought to.

thanks agian
    Bob