Headlights out on 2002

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by RBC, Nov 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. RBC

RBC New Member

Does anyone know why I would completely loose all headlights after washing my 2002? Yes, like dumb ass, I put it away without starting it and didn't start it for about a week after that. I have power to the fuse box, and the green groundwire is grounded. Blinkers work. Hi/low switch looks OK. I've check all the connections. I'm thinking it could be the headlight relays, but what are the chances both hi/lo headlight relays would go out at the same time! If one fails, will they both not work? I do have modulating low beams, but I bypassed the system trying to figure this out and I still have no headlights whatsoever. Any help or guidance wouuld be very much appreciate!!!

2. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Welcome to VFR World RBC.

Seems like your on the right track. Just want to confirm that "all" your fuses are okay? Your headlight fuse is a single 20amp

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Did you test the connector to much sure there is power coming out (Use a volt meter)? If yes check the bulbs make sure they they not burn out. If they all still in working order time to check the fuse box as Jason mention above. If all fail..........Hummmm Trouble :)
    I am sure we will figure out......Keep us posted.

4. RBC

RBC New Member

Yes, all the fuses are OK. Thanks for asking.

5. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Yep, I'd say give scuba's suggestion a try. Then maybe work backwards. The odds of them all burning out at the same time is not a good one but needs to be checked rather than assumed.

The headlight relays are just behind the headlights in front of the forks. They should be attached all in a row. You could check power to them and out of them when the ignition switch is turned on.

Do you have a service manual? You can get a copy here if not...

http://www.xar.it/Download/service manual.honda vfr 800 vtec 2002.pdf

6. RBC

RBC New Member

I have not checked to see if there is power at the bulb connector(s) themselves. None of 4 lights work. Since the ground does check out, I'm thinking it must be a power problem even though there is power to the fuse box and the fuse is OK. It's gotta be the relay, but both at the same time? Can't believe that!

7. RBC

RBC New Member

I can see the light bulbs themselves are not burned out

8. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Still finding it hard to believe it's not the fuse, your right, hard to believe and strange that something could even cause that. Fire up your meter and lets see where the power stops.

9. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Remove the rightside lower fairing panel. Locate the plug connectors on the framerail above the radiator. Slide the clear rubber boot back and locate the Red plug connector. Leave the plug connector connected for now and locate the Blue wire with the White stripe on it,test for power on that wire on both sides of that Red plug connector. What are your results?

10. RBC

RBC New Member

there is a procedure to check the headlight relays in the service manual, but you have to take off the front end and I was hoping to avoid that. It might be something else - at least I'm hoping that. Two relays at the same time? Looking a the wiring diagram, it is not obvious that if one fails the other one won't work, but I imagine that is possible. Unless I hear something on this forum, I'm stumped and will either have to tear the front end apart or take it to my dealer. this is really strange, I'm trying to sell this bike and it doesn't want to go!

11. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    No VFR wants to go, nor should they go. Take the fairings off so your not chasing your tail around. Best to troubleshoot systematically rather than all over the place. I'm sure stoshmonster has something up his sleeve, try what he suggested.

12. RBC

RBC New Member

Stoshmonster, I haven't yet removed the right panel. But I will and do as you ask, but it won't be until tomorrow. thanks!!!!

13. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    I had the exact same thing, total headlight failure, happen in Sept 07. Oklahoma Honda in Del City Ok found it was a corroded contact in the connector and bypassed the problem with a new connector in parrallel to the original.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  14. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Exactly JasonSmith. :thumbsup:

Before you condemn those relays RBC,let's first find out if you're actually getting power to them. Your problem could be in the starter switch or there are two plug connectors that the power supply passes across and the pins could be corroded a bit and simply not getting power to the headlight relays.

15. RBC

RBC New Member

I love this bike - believe me! There is no better motorcycle for commuting back and forth to work, in my opinion. But my wife won't let me have 2 street bikes. I'm giving it up for a KTM990 Adventure that was just thrown in my lap. We'll see. I always regret selling a motorcycle.

16. RBC

RBC New Member

Cyborg, just curious, how many hours did they charge?

17. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    OkHS didn't charge me one penny for about 2 hours to find and fix the problem, they even gave me a cup of coffee while I waited. Extended Honda Protection Plan rocks!

18. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    i got $20 on the starter switch.:biggrin:

19. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

Yep,could be.....

That's why I want RBC to check the signal voltage to the headlight relays first before I have him check the supply voltage going to them CandyRedRC46.

20. RBC

RBC New Member

Stoshmonster, there is essentially no voltage on either side of the connector on that wire. The clear boot looks like it got very warm (burnt looking) on one spot, but I notice that at another different connector boot too. Must be engine heat. Am I supposed to have voltage on that wire?