Headlights

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Aaron Chad, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Aaron Chad

Aaron Chad New Member

United States
    So I bought Reg71’s ‘98 vfr800 and I’ve run into a problem with the headlights. I’ve looked at some of the threads but I didn’t find my problem truly in there. So originally I turned on the bike (no problem) went for a ride and happened to get into some rain. Tonight when I turned it on only one headlight came on (right) when I turned on the brights the left one came on and the right turned off. I checked some connections and this has happened before in the past but magically got fixed by screwing around by unplugging the lights and putting them back. This time it did not work.

First time being on a forum so I’m not super sure how stuff works. But was hoping someone knew the answer.

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Have you gotten in touch with Reg about this?
    He may have some insight on the matter.
    Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Pull the bulbs out. It sounds like the high beam filament in one, and the low beam in the other are burned out. If you have a multimeter (doing your own maintenance, you should) you can check each filament, or you may be able to simply see if one is out.

4. Blackslide

Blackslide New Member

Finland
    My gen3 seems to have a problem in the high beam switch.From time time, the lights go out when I hit the high switch. It usually starts working after a quick off-on cycle, but sometimes requires a hectic moment of cramming the switch to get any lights.. Well, she's soon 30 so I'm not wondering :D

3rd gens have the left bulb for low beam and right one is for the high beam. At least that is how it works on mine. (well doesn't work always)

Riding on the storm