Heat your gloves for $10

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by VFR4Lee, Feb 24, 2019.

1. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Every year around this time I think about heated gloves or heated grips because riding in temps of 50's or into the 40's F makes my hands cold. But the price of heated gloves or grips is a little off putting, as is the need with most of them to wire them to the bike. Especially since there are only a few weeks a year so cold here. I think about it on a few weekend rides, then it warms up.

So, my wife got a pair of these $10 heated gloves, with 5 volt usb connection. Plug into computer while working, and no more cold hands. I got a pair, removed the heating element from the knit gloves. Put them inside my Alpinestars. OK, the velcro on the heating elements does not stick to the inside my gloves, so it's a little fidgety. Take the gloves off, and you will have to reposition the heater when you put them back on. I ran the wire harness included through the sleeves of my suit. Stuck a 2600 mah usb battery that I had laying around in the inside pocket.

The heating element has 2 sides, 1 goes on your palm the other on the back of your hand. My palms were good and warm due to the gripping the element between hand and glove. Back of hands, good, Fingers a little chilly, but on average good. A definite improvement. Temps got down to 50F today on my ride, so it could be colder. Worth while imho, but if you live in an actual cold place, it might not be so great. But so far, I think it is worth the $10 and then some. I will likely only use it 8 - 10 times a year. So, if you are in a colder climate, ymmv. See link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HKJY1RB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

irishrOy and RllwJoe like this.
  2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Good Idea. I agree with you, in that the need for an artificial heat source is limited. So something that is extremly portable and simple like this is attractive. Inexpensive is nice also.

3. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    I'm sure it's not as good as a purpose designed and built heated glove, but the price is right and it works good enough for me for now.

4. irishrOy

irishrOy New Member

Germany
    Damn, that is an awesome idea!
    May I ask how long the USB-cable is and how long the 2600mAH-battery holds up? How long do the heated gloves work with 2600mAH? :D

5. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    The cord is about 4 1/2 feet long, and has 2 lines, one for each glove. So you pull the cord halfs / lines apart working towards the usb plug end (if that makes sense), and run 1 of the 4.5' lines down each sleeve. Attach the usb end to the battery and stick in pocket. Current does not flow until you plug in a glove. It is more than long enough for me, and you would have to be NBA huge for it to be too short I think.

The 2600mah, I have not run it down all the way, but will guess a couple hours. It is all of 1" x 1" x 3" appx, and maybe weighs an ounce so you could easily go bigger. Or recharge it at the lunch stop. Bring 2.

I remembered I have some thin knit glove liners from Schampa, and the heaters stick inside those, so that's a bit bulky but better.

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    good idea. I actually have several USB charging points on my bike.