Heated grips and Flooding engine culprit (Leaking Injector)

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Legnd, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Legnd

Legnd New Member

United States
    Map
    With riding season finally upon us I've gotten my act together and have taken picture of things.

Over the winter I installed a Christmas present I received, Heat Demon Grip warmers.
    [​IMG]

They were very straight forward and a great mod. I live in upstate NY so riding in cold weather (30-40°F) is something I do twice a year. I have short summer gloves that are great but you can't feel your fingers after 10 minutes and big, thick, waterproof, winter gloves that you can't feel the bars through, period, never mind hitting the turn signal and not the horn.

I wanted to be able to walk away from the bike and not have to worry about remembering to turn it off or coming out of work to a dead battery so I knew I wanted it relay'd in. I'm not a great solderer and I don't have a good solder gun so I didn't want to cut the wiring harness so that meant I had to find a harness connector that I could put my relay in between. Luckily I found the license plate light connector on www.motorcycleconnectors.com. Here's the specific ones https://motorcycleconnectors.com/collections/he050-unsealed-series I would recommend them. I emailed them some pictures with measurements and they emailed back with similar pictures. The only bad experience I had was that I ordered pigtails and received loose pins so FYI.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plugged my new connector with the relay in between the bikes stock one with the fuse and ran some wires up the side of the subframe.

[​IMG]

I did originally have an issue with the LED light in the license plate light not drawing enough current to trigger the relay. I switched back to the OEM and it works, again, just FYI.

Ran a wire from the relay up to the switch, which I mounted in the black fairing backing.
    [​IMG]

Note on the Heat Demon switch and instructions. The instructions have it so that you connect the power to the bottom (far right in the picture) connector and then low in the middle and high on top but that is not how the switch works. In the picture the red wire going to the middle feeds the power and then bottom, white wires are low and top, blue wires are high.
    [​IMG]

Next up on my bike adventures was fixing my leaking injector since it was getting bad enough to drain my gas tank into my engine over winter and if I let the bike sit for a day or two would cause difficulty starting.
    Here's what I found.
    Not the best pictures but it's hard to get a cellphone to flash down there correctly.
    First is a good cylinder, not nothing but a black abyss......or maybe just valves.
    [​IMG]
    And now my problem cylinder. Note the reflection of gas pooled on top of the valves.
    [​IMG]

So I've got to get those cleaned. My question for you guys who may know a little more is can any autoshop clean injectors correctly or is it usually something you have to send to a 'performance' shop?

Trying to be more active and take photos, like the threads I enjoy looking at. Coming eventually is pics of bike with hardcases and new windscreen.
    Legnd

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    You should be able to find an injector cleaner/test shop nearby, they will check flow pattern, etc. and should give you a report.