Heated vest cord - What to do?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by cosmo, Jun 11, 2017.

1. cosmo

cosmo New Member

Map
    I have heated jacket cord coming off the right side from under the seat. It is long enough that I can move around the bike, which also means it is long enough to hit the ground. I like to run it over my leg instead of under my leg so that it doesn't get between my leg and the tank.

Once last year the cord disconnected from my jacket and hit the ground. I realized in a couple of miles and pulled over and sorted everything out. It happened again this year it is was about 100 miles before I realized. Needless to say, the connector ground down and is now not usable.

What can I do to make this less likely to happen?

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Personally I think your cord is far too long. It should be just long enough to plug in with a little slack so that you can get off your bike without unplugging, but not walk around. Mine is connected direct to the battery with a fused lead and it sticks out the side between the lower portion of the tank, and one of the upper flat surfaces on the farings. It has never come loose let along disconnected. I have had the same jacket liner for about 9 years now and probably 70,000 km ridden with the thing actually plugged in and turned on. All on the same bike.

Re-locate the plug. Drag that thing along the ground for any length of time and you may cause a short and if nothing worse, kill you battery

3. cosmo

cosmo New Member

Map
    I will try your suggestion to route the cord forward. It will allow the free length to be shortened and as a added safe guard I will be able to see if it comes undone. I simply routed the cord out from the battery, but your suggestion is better.

Nothing good comes from dragging the cord on the ground.