Helemt age - practical opinions/concerns

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by thestumper, Apr 21, 2021.

1. thestumper

thestumper New Member

United States
    As some of you have learned through my recent posts, I am re-joining the ranks of the riders. I've set a date of May 8th to pick up the bike, and so far I've been able to keep this quest mostly on budget. I know the "how old is too old" question has been debated endlessly, and I'm not looking to start a multi-page fight: I'm just looking for some practical advice. Consider the following:

I have a 7 year old Scorpion EXO-700 that I bought new and wore for roughly one year/season. I wasn't riding much near the end and if I had to put a "total hours" number on it, it would between 20-40 ( I wish I could be more precise...). The helmet still looks new, smells new-ish, and fits snugly/perfectly. It was stored in it's bag in the original box indoors in an air conditioned home. It hasn't seen the light of day since maybe a week ago.

I'll get to the point: what say you? Keep it? Toss it?

Bear in mind that I'm not looking for "it's your head" comments - I know it's "my head", but if I don't keep this whole thing on budget I'll need to mind the bits below the waist as well. The more pragmatic the better. I have a 15 year old Suomy that still looks OK, but I know I wore the heck out of that helmet for quite some time and wouldn't even think of putting it back into service. I just have a hard time believing that this barely-used Scorpion is destined for the bin with so little use. I'm also aware that helmet tech has improved throughout my hiatus, but IMO my head has grown no more valuable than it was 7 years ago; arguably less :)

As always, thanks in advance!

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I'd use it.

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I consider some of the biggest factors regarding helmet "age" is UV exposure, oils from our body and extreme temperature conditions. This is assuming that it has not been crashed in or thrashed about.

Limited exposure to the sun, your body, and temperature swings. I personally would have no problem using it for some more time.

I have helmets that are past the "5 year" mark easy, but because of how/where they are stored and treated, I'm not losing sleep. Plus, I have a number of helmets, so despite their "age", their actual use is much less.

BUT... it is your head. It's a personal choice. Just like wearing a half helmet or skull cap (or no helmet).

4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Ill expand.. You know the history, it fits, its been kept well - that's why I'd still use it.

5. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Its really almost new, use it.
    The only place you might run into trouble is on a track IF some tech or marshal noticed the helmet and knew the year it came out, then looked at manufacture date and said you need a newer lid to ride the track. Seen that happen once in all my years, but the guy was wearing an ancient old Bell. lol
    I have a nice collection of old helmets. Going to need a new one soon................. looking at the new tech of 6D helmets, pretty cool.

6. thestumper

thestumper New Member

United States
    Perfect responses - largely to the point. For things like this, I prefer blunt :) I'm not expecting track days, and I will likely buy a new lid next season - just trying to curtail expenses this season. Might even look for an end of year deal this season, but at the moment I had to get gloves, and I need to get a stand. The rest of it is little stuff, but it adds up. Thanks!!!

7. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hmm statistics tend to suggest you are more likely to need a decent helmet when travelling on public roads than on any typical track day as you can be pretty sure there will be no-one coming the other way or doing stupid things like pulling out in front of you without looking.

However I fully agree that provided your helmet still fits well, and you know it has been stored properly and shows no signs of degredation, I would have no hesitation to continue using a helmet made by any quality manufacturer. I guess it may still be better than some of the brand new Chinese tat available on the web.

If/when you do decide to dispose of your old helmet - you may want to consider donating it to staff at your local Fire Station. Certainly over in France they are happy to receive undamged helmets which they can use during practice sessions to train first responders how to safely remove a motorcycle helmet without potentially paralysing a fallen rider. Your old helmet could still prove a life saver.

34468 Randy and Terry Smith like this.
  8. thestumper

thestumper New Member

United States
    Agreed on both points. My reference to track days was in the context of having the helmet rejected by staff because of age - that does happen but not often. I will likely donate my old Suomy but it will be hard to let it go. It's cool looking, and there are a lot of good memories. If the wife would let me, I'd find a way to illuminate it and put it in the family room... but that's just not going to happen.

And you bring up one of the main reasons why I'd still like a new helmet sooner rather than later: emergency release cheek pads. I'll look for deals later in the summer.

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Seems we all have the same opinion. I would wear that lid, as described, for a couple more years quite fearlessly.

Manufacturers can not give an expiry date for each and every type of rider, and how he/she looks after their equipment. S, they likely use a "lowest common denominator" approach and say 5 years. They need to give the lid a life expectancy to mitigate potential civil suits against them because some tool rides and crashes wearing a 25 year old hat that has been stored out on the back yard picnic table out in the elements in a north facing house in Arizona.

10. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    IMO as long as it was stored well, and still fits snugly, then I'd wear it. But it it felt a bit loose, then I'd
    be looking for a new one, because that would indicate the inside is compressing. And when that happens
    the helmet loses some of its ability to protect your noggin.

11. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    Wife just bought a new HJC for $150. It's last year's model, that's why it is so cheap. It's a nice lid.

12. thestumper

thestumper New Member

United States
    I think the new HJC ARPHA 70 ST's are brilliant from a design standpoint. Would love to try one on but no one local has any. I get tired of the "we can order one in" because quite frankly so can I and it will show up tomorrow and will be cheaper even if I have to exchange it. Worst case I hate it and I'm out a few bucks shipping. I really wish I could patronize my local shops for gear more, but as I alluded in another post - the pickings are just incredibly slim around here right now. I'll roll with the Scorpion - I managed to find an NOS bronze visor for it (love bronze for driving/riding) at a reasonable price so I snagged it. Would like another clear - the original managed to get scratched up somehow even though I rarely used it. The light smoke is almost perfect - not sure what I did to the clear.