Heli bars/risers or steering damper?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by TTB, Jan 6, 2019.

1. TTB

TTB New Member

United States
    Pick one. Why?

I only have enough in the budget this year for one or the other. In your opinion, which is the more worthy investment? Why? And do you have any suggestions for your choice, including brands & purchasing options?

'02 VFR

Thanks!

Trevor

2. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    Heli-bars. Everyday comfort. Most people will never need a steering damper, nice insurance policy though.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Neither...

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Do what you think is best, if you ask the question here, you'll get nothing but more questions and not many good answers. Do what you think is going to help you the most first, then do the other, after you gather up the money. 99.999% of people here don't set up their chassis with radical enough geometry to require a damper, so keep that in mind.

5. TTB

TTB New Member

United States
  6. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    TBH, I've never heard of anyone putting a steering damper on a VFR, of any vintage, or anyone who felt
    the need for one. Heli-Bars are nice if you want a more straight up riding position. If you spend more time
    on twisty roads, you'll probably want to keep the stock bars.

XRedJar and John451 like this.
  7. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi TTB and welcome to the MadHouse:Welcome:

When you get a chance please swing by the Introductions forum and post up a bit about you and roughly where you and your 02VFR are based in the States as you may find some of the forum members are your neighbours and could perhaps meet up sometime.

As what to go for with limited funds - I would advise hold off at least until you have used the bike a few times. If the bike needs a service (or encounters electrical gremlins) you might need some funds in reserve.

Personally I very quickly opted for heibars, as my wrists and back was definitely unhappy on longer 600 mile+ trips across Europe with the stock bars. It seems a few people first try fitting risers - which certainly help a bit and are a lot cheaper. If you find your wrists are still unhappy you can always sell the risers and fit Helibars later. Helibars move the bars upwards and a bit nearer to you. The distance is not great but makes a huge difference to load on your wrists, and is about as far as you can move them bars without having to replace cables. There is a thread on here which explains how to fit helibars, which can be done without disturbing the brake lines and avoids the need to bleed brakes.

I have never felt a need for a steering damper, but then again I live in the Alps with lots of crazy twisty roads where being able to quickly and easily turn the steering from lock to lock can be pretty essential. Even without a damper my VFR was quite at home on the Isle of Man TT course..

SkiMad

tommy faulk sr likes this.
  8. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Would say firstly clock up a few 000 miles before you go and start throwing money at the bike. I'm always amazed at folk who start chucking the "comfort stuff" on before they have even used or got used to the bike, or should I say muscles used to the bike.

If you really need to the bar risers.

9. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    I've got one. Probably one of the few, if not the only one. Ohlins. Just for the security of the head shake. Like riding the twisty roads in Wisconsin, when I get up there.

10. tommy faulk sr

tommy faulk sr New Member

United States
    Map
    Have recently purchased a 2005 VFR
    It had Heli Risers, Sargent seat for the
    Comfort areas. I've had sport bikes
    With dampners and didn't really utilize
    Them. In A practical sense the risers
    Are a sure investment. Previous statements
    About saving for possible maintenance
    Or initial repair are good ones.
    Enjoy the bike most of all!!

11. Cycleman1

Cycleman1 New Member

Canada
    I've always found changing the bar's whether by raising them on some bikes, or getting rid of the clip ons on bikes like the BMW R1100S or the VFR 800 have worked the best for me. It all depends on the individual when it comes to this type of mod. On my 99 VFR I used the handlebar kit I bought from Wetbike Japan. All the stock parts, throttle, clutch and brake hose fit, but you do have to modify the stops on the master cyclinders ( cut one stop tab off so you can rotate the hose). You may or may not have to do this depending on where you position the bars. They where a bit cheaper for me than the Hellibars and do offer some advanatages, more adjustable and the handlebar offers places to put GPS etc. They also sell the police conversion kit with throttle cables etc. for a few dollars more.

I've never seen the need for a dampner unless your bike has a head shake that you are trying to control. Usually new steering bearings fix that issue.

12. TTB

TTB New Member

United States
    Hey everyone, just want to say thanks to everyone for all you input. Not sure how some people got the idea that I just got the bike/started riding (bought the bike new myself in '02), but I think I've decided to go with the helibars this spring in any case. Thanks again.