Helibars + bar-end mirrors

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by RTEjr, Mar 3, 2021.

1. RTEjr

RTEjr New Member

United States
    So now that I've done the MUST-dos on the recently purchased '07 non-ABS VFR, (tires, chain/sprockets, oil/filter, brake pads, fluids, etc) it's time to move on to the WANT-tos.
    Considering the Helibars *with* bar-end mirrors. Anyone have any experience with this? Installation tips/issues? Clearance concerns? Other?
    I've considered the stock mirror extenders, but they only add 1ish" to the already awful stock stalks.
    Any guidance would be appreciated, including specific bar-end mirror recommendations.

Thx!/Rob

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Rob and Welcome to the MadHouse:Welcome:

It sounds like you are already getting stuck into making your vfr YOUR VFR. So when you get time please swing by the "introductions" part of the forum and say Hi to the rest of the folks on here. Please tell us a bit about you and your riding history and perhaps add a photo or two of your VFR - it is easy just click the "upload a file" link below and follow the prompts to select and upload images from your computer. You may also want to update your forum profile to include an approximate location - city/state is ample - so if you ever need help - you may find someone living nearby may drop by to offer advice or guidance especially if you have a well stocked beer fridge :drink:.

As for bar end mirrors on a 6th Gen you may struggle as there is already only a minimal clearance between tank/screen and the bar ends at full lock, so you will need to ensure it does not affect the steering range.

Helibars should be fine and with care can be installed without disturbing brake and clutch lines, but you need to remember that the clip ons fitted on the 6th Gen and Helibars are designed to incorporate an internal vibration damper. So if you want to securely mount bar end mirrors you may have to remove the damper which may render the mirrors pretty useless due to excess vibration.

Over the years a few people have looked at fitting bar end mirrors but I am not aware of anyone finding a satisfactory solution. For larger riders mirror extenders are a fairly common and generally effective solution to seeing more than your own elbows. Also being mounted to the fairing they are less affected by vibration, although you may want to first see if you can improve rear vision simply by repositioning the standard mirrors so they are positioned as wide as possible rather than slanted back slightly. This may be a bit less aerodynamic, but it is free and should not materially affect the handling.

Have fun post up photos if you find a good solution.

Take Care ATGATT

SkiMad

3. RTEjr

RTEjr New Member

United States
    ThxMuch SkiMad!

Sorry for the delayed response & appreciate the welcome & advice!

So yeah, maybe I'll try the mirror extenders/spacers, & forgo the bar-end mirrors afterall.

Still trying to justify the $ for the Helibars & hoping their performance & comfort is as anticipated.

Tho' another negative to consider is no longer being able to use the helibars as a tie down point if ever the bike needs to be towed. An unfortunate, yet dealable thing.

I'll swing by the newbies area ASAP and introduce myself.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  4. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    I made the mistake of not reading the install instructions before I started removing stuff for the Heli bar install on my 5th gen. They call for cutting off the stop on both reservoirs so the banjo fitting can be turned a bit, and the throttle cables being moved from the outside to inside of the right side shock tube. Both are a pain.

SkiMad, how did you manage not doing this? I haven’t cut the stops off yet. Very reluctant to do that. I did re-route the throttle cables.

5. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    Gary Hmm.

As you mention 5th Gen I do not know for certain if the 5th Gen and 6th Gen helibars kits install the same - but it seems likely.

It is also more than a decade since I did this, and I recall it being a blisteringly hot sunny day with an ample supply of cold beer close to hand...

Anyway from what I recall reorienting the pipes was not a major problem just sort them out whilst the reservoirs are still attached to the original clip ons and to only work on one side at a time (the bars are handed). You only need to take off one lug on each side - the one which stops the cable being rotated to point slightly down to ease the stress on the lines when the reservoir is transferred over to the taller heli-bars.

I used a hand junior hacksaw with a fine blade to very carefully remove the lug but taking great care not to damage nearby stuff. Whilst hindsight this could have been easier and quicker to do with a dremel and fine cutting tip, however with beer involved, using a hand saw probably was the safest approach.

Once the offending lug was removed ease off the banjo connector just enough to allow you to rotate it down a bit and then nip the bolt back up once it is where you need it. If you do it right you will not see any loss or leak of hydraulic fluid.

However removing and transferring over the internal damper units to the helibars proved to be the real headache, and the process was not well described (unintelligible) in the Helibar instructions. I tried to no avail so came up with my own approach...

Once everything had been removed from the original clip on I used a vice to securely hold the clip on (wrapped in a cloth) but positioned so the two tiny drill holes were still accessible. Spray releasing agent into those holes and allow time for it to do its magic - perhaps drink several beers.

I then re-installed the bar end stop and rounded up help from a friend as you will need four hands - two to press down and free the sprung locating pins which lock the damper inside the clip on (I used fine screw drivers but a suitable narrow nail with the point removed would work).

As you will see, the bar end stop is slightly wider than the bars so find a suitable size open end spanner which will fit snuggly over the bar and slide it along so it is butted up against the bar end stop. Whilst someone presses down on the two locking tabs, get a hammer and gently (or not gently) tap outwards against the spanner to get that effxxxx damper out - once it starts moving it should move easily assuming you applied sufficient releasing oil and drank enough beer and the damper does not manage to catch in the final hole.

At the time I did contemplate making a video of the process but by then ample beer had been consumed and the idea was binned.

If you feel brave I am sure a video of your efforts will be of interest to others.

Have fun

SkiMad

6. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    SkiMad, did you have to re-route the throttle cables behind the fork tube?

Thank you for the reply by the way.

7. skimad4x4

France
    Map
    I do not recall moving/relocating any cables on my 6th Gen, but as I do not own a 5th Gen there may have been different instructions for the earlier motorbikes.
    IMG_9913.JPG

The photo may give you some idea of the routing of cables. But it is complicated by the presence of non-standard cables for the heated grips, and a GPS, and the vista throttle lock. Together these extras posed an interesting challenge to squeeze them all onto the HeliBars without affecting the lock to lock steering.

I hope that helps

Attached Files:

8. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    I have a 5th Gen, with Convertibars, currently a tad higher and further back than Helis will go. With stock lines, I see no real fix but to trim the tabs off the reservoirs. I'm at the limit also, but the plan is to install stainless lines that are +2" longer... still may have to trim the tabs but I won't know that until I install them. I don't think the 6th Gen is really much different, just larger diameter forks/risers.

9. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    SkiMad, your lines look in stock position. I have the option to move either way since my bike is apart. Heli-Bar instructions seem to be very specific on trimming the stop tabs on the reservoirs and moving the throttle cables. I'll work on it both ways (throttle cables) to see, but moving cables isn't an issue. I just hate using the dremel on the reservoirs. Oh well . . . like they say - 'It all started when I took the hubcaps off'! And you have to be over a certain age to get that one!

10. RTEjr

RTEjr New Member

United States
    Anyone w/in 50-100 or so miles in metro Atlanta with Helibars or Convertibars installed? Would love to come see & possibly sit on your bike to see how they fit me before I pull the trigger on mine. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  11. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    I can send you pics of what I had to do to install if you'd like.

Gary

12. RTEjr

RTEjr New Member

United States
    Thanks Gary, but I'm trying to decide *IF* I want to install them, . i.e., are they a good fit for me...

13. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    Gotcha. Easy decision for me. My wrists couldn’t take the stock position. Expensive but great quality.

14. RTEjr

RTEjr New Member

United States
    Thanks Gary!