Hello Everyone

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by wpbarlow, Aug 26, 2017.

1. wpbarlow

wpbarlow New Member

United States
    Map
    Just joined the site. I had an '84 VF1000F years ago (the one in the avatar)- put over 50,000 miles of high fun times on it and moved on. Since that first one, I've owned a number sportin' Honda V4s (VF1000R, '87, RC30, '96, & 2 '06s): always having at least one on the garage.

But for some reason getting another '84 was always rattling around in my head. So almost 3 years ago I bought a pretty neglected 27,000 mile one. Seemed to run decently (or at least not making fatal noises lol) but with an awful lot of weathering. It was reasonably priced (i.e., cheap); and forgetting for the moment the only thing more expensive than a cheap old bike is a free old bike, I bought it. Then I took out my money gun and started shooting lol. Fast forward to the present time and it's getting close to being mechanically very good and, except for the actual bodywork, looking pretty sharp. All bodywork is still "as found", what hucksters call "patina" when they're trying to sell LOL.

Anyway, while I was looking for something else, I came across a 30,000 mile '84 that looked very good. Long story short, yep, I'll soon have two :Crazy:

Current thinking (if you can call it that) is that I'll leave the nice one pretty much as it is (does need some updates like brake lines, etc.) and maybe turn the not as nice one into a subtle resto-mod. There are a couple that I've seen/read about that look quite interesting- and the "how to" research and work has been done.

One thing that I need to look into is a way to lower the foot pegs/controls- as I just don't fold up as well now as "back then". Anyone done that, or know of an available solution?

BTW, I'm in Central NJ if anyone's nearby.

Walter

2. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome to the forum Walter! You should introduce yourself in the introduction forum, and be sure to include some photos for those of us who are visually stimulated.

3. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I've had a lot of different bikes since my first new bike, but have always missed my VF750F Interceptor. There's something about those first generation machines. I like the looks and comfort. I remember seeing kits for Suzuki GSX-R750's. Nowadays, you'll probably need to custom make them. All it was was a bracket that lowered the peg using the stock location to fit the bracket into. I remember Motorcyclist magazine making a sport touring Gixxer in 1987ish.

4. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    "Allyance" wrote the other day about how he put lowering pegs on his new VFR800 from "Knight Design" on. Try looking them up, or maybe ask him for more information. When I saw that post/reply, I rememebered talking about peg lowering in the past while!

5. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Ya, how bout' some pics.!?

6. wpbarlow

wpbarlow New Member

United States
    Map
    Samuel likes this.
  7. RllwJoe

RllwJoe Insider

United States
    Map
    Looking good, I like the backdrop that you chose also.

8. dbmcd

dbmcd New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi and welcome. I had an 84 1000 as well. Sold it and bought an 86 700 for a dollar. I found out I could take parts off easier than put them on. The 86 seating position is a lot more comfortable. So it turned out like this. Good luck...[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Samuel likes this.