Hello from Chicagoland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Cam M, May 11, 2020.

1. Cam M

Cam M New Member

United States
    Short time lurker, new poster here. I have joined the great world of Honda motorcycling with my first bike, an '84 VF750F. I'd like to thank the members of the site for all of the great threads in regard to these bikes, and particularly 1st gen, thank you everyone!.

A little bit about myself, I currently work in the construction industry but previously worked as a machinist for many years and have access to wide range of equipment. CNC lathes, swiss-type lathes, mills, straighten-cutters, bending machines, flat die roll threaders, round die roll threaders, cut threaders, and well anything else made in the last century... you just have to find it in the shop. I am more than willing to do contract manufacturing for members of this forums projects, even up to large quantities. Contact me with your ideas.

I picked up my bike from a guy who had stored it for the better part of two decades, unused. The bike currently has 5000 miles on the clock... still fresh! As you can imagine it had some issues. *I will work on getting pictures for you guys as I have time this week*

Build Log:

- Purchased Easter weekend 2020, battery dead, pushed in gear to make sure motor spins freely. Bike looks as expected for 5000 miles only.

-Purchased a battery, drained the gas (not rusty but boy did this turn gummy), and tried starting. No surprise, it only ran on the choke, but it ran!

-Carburetor stack pulled for cleaning. Removing these from a V4 is no joke. Jets, bowls, etc.. cleaned. Diaphragms looked perfect. Float level set per service manual. Re-installation was even worse as you could have guessed. I went with the method of placing all the boots crooked facing upwards. That, some beer, and some grunts seemed to get it back together.

-New plugs installed and started again. Runs great now but I am sure it could use a proper vacuum sync... I'll get there.

-Mirrors on the bike were replaced with some generic mirrors by a P.O. Went ahead and ordered a set of complete mirror for a 2013 CB1000F. Part number includes mirrors, and all of the fasteners required for OEM install. 90201-MW3-620 X2, 88130-MFG-D00 X2, 88220-MFN-305, 88210-MFN-305, 90003-MW3-620 X2

-Rear air shock was completely seized in the compressed position. Dangerous! I purchased a used Penske 8983 rear shock with a 1200lbs/in spring and appropriate valving. CNC machined aluminum clevis joint and 11/16-20 threaded extension to get it to the correct length for the VF. Took some finagling to hide the remote reservoir adjacent to the battery under the plastic covers. If anyone wants the old lump for rebuilding, its here waiting for you, just send shipping $$$.

-Tires were mismatched, and 20yr old bias plys weren't going to float the boat. I couldn't stomach purchasing bias plys in 2020 so a wheel swap was needed.

-Front wheel: CBR600F2 17"x3.50" - speedo drive body bored and spacer made for axle nut-side of the wheel. Test fitting this week. Once I have confirmed my dimensions I will post drawings for everyone to reference. 3D printed speedo retaining ring also was produced for the swap and will be included for free use. The plastic parts shown adapt a 45mm bore speedo drive to 32mm of the older VF speedo drive. Bridgestone Battlax S20 EVO installed.

Rear wheel: VF1000F 17"x3.50" - modification required for the VF750F oem cush drive rubber to fit the smaller cush drive of the 17" wheel. 140/70R17 Bridgestone Battlax S20 EVO installed.
    -Front fork is leaking and will be the next item to look at. Racetech gold cartridge emulators? or a CBR fork swap?

-Fuel cap gasket leaking and replaced with similar gasket from a CB350 I believe. Part# 17631-329-003 <-not quite a perfect fit but seems to work well enough. May need one of those chinesium VF750 caps to steal a gasket from.

-Fuel tank bumpers went missing when I pulled the tank off, doh! Purchased some similar OEM Honda fuel tank bumper. Part # 17516-MJ6-000 from CBR900RR

-Brake and clutch levers had been previously replaced with aftermarket levers. I replaced these with their respective brand new Honda OEM levers.

-Clutch master and slave cylinder disassembled and cleaned.

-EBC brake pads installed in all 3 calipers.

-Valve clearance. Almost every valve was tight. I set using two feeler gauge technique. I am used to flat tappet motors so trivial activity for me. A little noisier now but I am okay with that. Cams looked great with a very minor pit shown on the intake cam for cylinder 1.

-Oil change performed with Rotella T6 5w-40 and OEM Honda oil filter. I'll admit the filter was for a Honda car but I am sure it is fine. I have a stock of them on hand.

Not too bad for only a month's worth of work. The work at home order certainly helps right now. I have taken it out riding every chance I get and have put a few hundred miles on it already.

Thanks again to all of the great members here for helping me on my motorcycling journey. I hope I can return the favor in time.

-Cameron

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    blitz jr and LauraM like this.
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Good job Cameron.

1991 - 1994 CBR600F2 front wheels are 3.5" tho

3. Cam M

Cam M New Member

United States
    Captain, your posts about your builds are great and have helped me a lot, thanks!

... Popped my head into the garage and you are correct 3.50" wide for the front wheel. I will update my post.

4. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Nothing like jumping straight into the deep end.
    Enjoy.

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Cameron, F2 rear wheels are cheap and plentiful on eBay if you wanted to make your rear rim not the same size as your front. They are pretty damn easy to adapt to the VF750F too. And according to Bridgestone, a 4.5" rim is still acceptable for the tire you already purchased.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  6. Colddevil

Colddevil Member

United States
    Map
    Damn, that's one hell of a month! Greetings from just a bit north of you.

-Fuel tank bumpers went missing when I pulled the tank off, doh! Purchased some similar OEM Honda fuel tank bumper. Part # forthcoming for you guys.

I'm interested in that part number and/or source. I'm missing one for my 500. I found a replacement that is sort of close that I'm going to need to cut down and modify, but if that doesn't work out, I'd like other options.

7. Cam M

Cam M New Member

United States
    I was surprised the original bumper part is unobtanium and went hunting for any alternative. Honda OEM # 17516-MJ6-000. Came from a 93-96 CBR900RR
    Fits perfectly despite the ever so slightly different design. Also there is some adhesive applied as well, presumably to avoid losing them again.

Colddevil likes this.
  8. blitz jr

blitz jr New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello Cam,

Good luck with the bike. If you see a white 8th gen in the western burbs, it's probably me. So glad it's finally warming up.

Blitz