Hello from England

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by JamesHambleton, Sep 4, 2017.

1. JamesHambleton

JamesHambleton New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hello, thought I'd best introduce myself, I've been registered for a while (even before the site got hacked but never got my confirmation email until a few days ago) I'm James and live in Bedale, N Yorks, England, I've been riding for about 3 and a half years now. For those who are familiar with the EU licence system I'm currently on an A2 licence and and looking into doing my A licence within the next month or so when I'm eligible which means I'll be able to ride the vfr.

The bikes I've owned are CBF125 (sold), CB500, CB500(broke for parts) , CB400, CB400 (broke for parts), BANDIT 400 (currently restoring) , GPZ500 (trying to fix it) and the reason why I'm here my 1987 VFR750.

I bought on VFR from a friend (no longer a friend, long story short he and others ditched me when we was in europe this summer). He crashed his bike (cbf600 abs) and went over a car and needed transport and he got the vfr, less than a week later he got brake checked by a van when riding the vfr and locked up the front wheel and went down (he was only use to abs so grabbed a hand full of brake). The bike then ended up sat in his front garden basically rotting for 11 months as he got his main one fixed a week later so this was just sat there doing nothing but providing an object for cobwebs to form on, at least the spiders liked it. I offered him £400 for it as he was never going to do anything with it and it needed work (parts) which he couldn't afford. She has 56,238 miles.

The front discs had cold welded themselves to the pads and once freed up the front brake pulsed at the lever when dragging the front brakes, the fairing is cracked, snapped and parts missing. The tank is badly dented, all and I mean all body work panels are damaged in one form or another. The head bearings were needing replacement but the feel of them, the bars would notch to the centre. The fuel pump didn't work so no petrol got to the carbs, you had to lift up the tank and bypass the pump to gravity feed the carbs, oh and the speedo didn't work very well.

At this point I bought the bike in January this year, and my dad and I pushed it across East Hull through a known stolen bike dumping ground area. No one surprisingly said anything to us (we looked really dodgy pushing this bike) and it's lived in my dads garage ever since.

I've sorted out all the issues including a nicely hidden one. Some monkey had put oil in the clutch reservoir and it had warped the rubber gasket so the clutch res wouldn't seal. I replaced it with one from a cb400 (nc31) brake reservoir. Oh and they cut the fuel hose and fitted a dodgy metal connector between the filter and the tank so petrol would drip onto the engine and the rear exhaust. She now starts on the push of the starter and doesn't even need a full rotation to start up, and she is started up and moved every 2 weeks. I have fitted the Mosfet reg/rec mod too! I intend to do a streetfighter out of her, USD front end, Single sided swingarm using Toe Cutters thread, and a form of custom exhaust. That's it oh and removing the fairing, rest of the body is staying stock so it'll pretty much be as in the image below but with a naked front end and the mods listed above.
    [​IMG]

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Wow James that is a real back from the brink VFR.

Now the hard work is over its time to have fun with it - will be in Harrogate next July for a Ulysses Club GB meet so we will be exploring quite of bit of Yorkshire before catching the ferry from Hull.

SkiMad

3. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Welcome! Yes, now time to enjoy!
    Have fun and post up some pics of your advetures!