Helmet lock

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by John painter, May 28, 2018.

1. John painter

John painter New Member

After my first time cleaning the carbs in my VF500, and getting the bike running much, much better, now I have a new challenge/problem..... silly kind of.

How does the helmet lock work?

I know the helmet lock (when locked) is supposed to lock the seat latch so the seat can't be removed, and works when you press the shank up into the seat latch. I can't quite see how it works inside the latch end to figure out how to fix it, presumably there's something up in the latch that is supposed to catch on that notch? Nothing does. And on the lock mechanism where the key is, it seems like that should somehow lock the shank so it can't be pulled down and out of the seat latch. But I'm not sure. Anybody ever had this issue with a 1Gen?

lock.JPG

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    dija read the owners manual, john ?

John painter likes this.
  3. John painter

John painter New Member

I don't have the owners manual, but it's pg 303 in the Clymers. And they say the carbs are hard to get in and out.... :Bluesbros:

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Lock for the seat is in the tail section, helmet lock is just a bolt on lock. Search the site for carbs, there is a knack to be learned. Have taken mine off and on many times, 3 times in one day once.

5. John painter

John painter New Member

Thanks, I got the carbs in and out without too much trouble. I’m just am vexed with the helmet lock not locking. :deadhorse:

6. John painter

John painter New Member

I finally figured out the issue with my helmet lock. That latch needs to be cocked forward, and it was super stiff, I so hit it with a lot of PB Blaster and it loosened up and worked. Mystery solved! I’m an idiot. :Der: