Help please!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Dave and Dragon, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Dave and Dragon

Dave and Dragon New Member

United Kingdom
    Hello from the sunny (for once) UK.

I've just bought my first VFR 800. It's a 2009 model with a whole 8327 miles on the clock! It's been off the road, dry stored for three years. My friend was out riding and watched his riding buddy cartwheel down the road in front of him. Fortunately no major injuries to the riding buddy but my friend rode home, parked the bike in the garage and never rode again. I was looking for a winter bike and was offered the stored VFR. The deal was done and the rest, as they say, is history .

My fiend fitted a new battery and the bike started first time. It obviously needs a service but runs ok. UNTIL...(here's the help part!) My friend washes the bike for me the night before I pick it up and the dashboard stops working, but not entirely. No digital displays any more, no rev counter, but it does have idiot lights and is back lit.

So, does anyone have any clues or do I have to junk the current dash and trace a replacement?

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks very much.

Stay safe out there.

Dave.

2. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hopefully a water logged dash connector. . . Or get your money back

3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and welcome to the MadHouse. :Welcome:

When you get time please swing by the introductions section and say Hi to the rest of the folks on here and perhaps add a photo or two of your VFR.

As for the dash it sounds more like the multiplug connector on the back of the dash has come partially adrift but could also be waterlogged especially if you friend used a jet wash.

Anyway you should be able to get at the offending multiplug simply by taking the screen out and then reaching through the gap hidden by some trim and the lower section of the screen. Screen comes off easy - remove small cross head screws and trim piece located below the screen at each end. Remove just the two hex head bolts which will now be visible - mirror fixing can stay in situ. CAREFULLY ease the screen free. There are lugs moulded into the screen on each side (which are prone to snapping) so it has to slide out until the lug comes free and then the screen can be lifted away.

Disconnect the battery. Then remove inspect (dry as necessary) and firmly reinstate the multiplug. The rubber gaiter makes getting it fully home a challenge.

Once you are confident the connector is fully home, reconnect the battery and see whether the dash works OK before settling down to reinstate the screen.

Hopefully it will need just one mug of tea and you will be riding again.

Take Care ATGATT

SkiMad

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It could be even more simple and it’s a fuse. I had an issue where my front brake wires were shorting out the circuit when I pulled the lever. The fuse that blew out would take the dash with it! Before you ask, the fuses are located under the small cowl piece that is right below the front dash cowl, it’s basically a small piece that sits between the side fairing and the front cowl. Hopefully this is the issue. If it is, double check that the front brake perch isn’t pushed up too close the the clip on as this is what my issue turned out to be. If it is, loosen up the perch and rotate it just enough to give some space between the two.

5. Dave and Dragon

Dave and Dragon New Member

United Kingdom
    Many thanks to Darth Vader, Skimad 4x4 and OOTV.
    I spent a happy few hours in the garage this afternoon. Music, coffee, chocolate and a bike to play with. Sadly that's where the good news ends.
    I've had the dashboard out and back in. Everything dried and re-dried. All connectors checked and appear ok. All fuses taken out, checked and replaced. The bike starts, runs beautifully, and everything works as it should.......apart from the digital displays and rev counter. So, after all that, no change! So tomorrow I've booked a trip to see the local Honda dealer to A) find out if they can do a diagnostic check on the dashboard and B) fall about laughing when they tell me the price of a new dashboard.
    Anyway, thanks to all again for the advice and kind words.
    Stay safe.
    Dave.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    a careful inspection of the dash backside might reveal a crack in the printed-on wiring that could be repaired.

7. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    If the Honda solution proves too expensive, you could try a breakers yard or take the unit along to a PCB(printed circuit Board) repair firm.

A web search should hopefully find someone near you who has basic test equipment to work out what is wrong and decided whether it is worth fixing.

8. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom