Help wiring turn signals with instrument cluster delete - 3rd gen

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by johnofthejungle, Sep 5, 2019.

1. johnofthejungle

johnofthejungle New Member

United States
    Hi - I’m in the process of converting my 91 VFR 750 to be naked. I’m almost finished but am running into an issue with wiring the turn signals.

I noticed that without the the instrument cluster hooked up the turn signals don’t get any power. I’m only able to get them to function by having the instrument cluster fully hooked up.

Does anyone know how I can modify the wiring so I can bypass the instrument cluster altogether?

Here are the plugs that go into the instrument cluster:

[​IMG]

As far as I can tell the left plug has the power for the signals - the orange and the light blue. If I only plug that one in and leave the black plug out then the turn signals will only flash as hazards.

Here’s a shot of the back of the instrument cluster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated. I’ll also take a look at the wiring schematic, but I suck at reading them so I’m not holding out much hope there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    The grey wire supplies blinking power to the switch, the output is either orange or light blue (left or right). If you connect e.g the orange wire to the left indicators and these have a green wire that is connecting to a ground, you have a circuit that should be flashing. If you have additional wires with a white stripe i.e. orange with white stripe and light blue with white stripe, these are for the left and right marker lights.

johnofthejungle likes this.
  3. johnofthejungle

United States
    So if I’m looking to remove the gauge cluster from the equation I need to connect the gray wire from the switch to the gray wire from the flasher relay?

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    Yes you need to connect the grey output from the flasher to the grey input to the switch, that is where the 12v + power comes from, from there it is all downhill via the bulbs back to earth (and the chassis and -ve on the battery).

johnofthejungle likes this.
  5. johnofthejungle

United States
    Thanks a ton! Will give that a shot tomorrow. This exercise made me realize I had no idea how turn signals actually work.

6. johnofthejungle

United States
    Well, I hot wired the gray wire and the white/green wire straight from the relay to the turn signal switch and it still doesn’t work. Still works fine though when I plug the gauge cluster back in.

When the signals aren’t active both of those wires are steady 12v .

When I have the gauge cluster plugged in (signals functioning) and hit the turn signal the white/green stays 12v constant and the gray flashes 6v to .5v in line with the flasher relay

Here’s my temporary tap into the flasher relay lines

[​IMG]

Here’s the other side of those wires, where they connect into the corresponding wires just before the connector that runs up to the turn signal switch

[​IMG]

When I disconnect the gauge cluster and try the turn signals i that gray wire goes from 12v constant down to 6v, but the relay doesn’t flash. Is it possible that there is still something within the gauge cluster that enables the relay to flash?

7. johnofthejungle

United States
    Okay so I figured it out, nothing special needs to be done with the gray wire from the relay.

Could have saved myself a bit of time if I’d been more diligent about tracing down the connectors for the front turn signals. Also I didn’t note in my original post that I did not have them hooked up.

The problem is that I did not have front turn signals hooked up. Those connectors were laying empty, and it must have left the circuit open.

Once I scrounged up my old turn signal and hooked it up the flasher works without the gauge cluster.

Here’s a pic of one of the front turn signal connectors with one of my old front turn signals hooked up. The wire colors are off because it’s for the wrong side, but works fine for this test.

The orange, orange white, and green connector is bike side, the light blue wires are turn signal side

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  8. johnofthejungle

United States
    Upon further inspection my problem is that i was doing all of this testing with LED signals.

Rather than getting a hyper flash I was getting no flash at all. Once I wired a load resistor in line the flasher relay kicked on.